Chapter Eight

"Great film," Skye said as she walked out of the cinema with Nathan. Nathan had insisted that the two of them went on a 'proper date'. Skye didn't mind. She was beginning to enjoy his company."It was," Nathan agreed and laced their fingers together. He suddenly stopped and pulled her into an alley. Their fingers parted and Nathan stepped closer to Skye. He placed his hands at either side of her shoulders before leaning towards her and kissing her. A warmth spread through Skye at Nathan's touch as she kissed him back.

Someone cleared their throat and they were forced to pull away from each other. Nathan turned his head to look at the stranger and raised an eyebrow. "Can I help you?" he asked. "I just want to talk to Skye-boo." Skye winced at the voice and stepped slightly behind Nathan. "I don't want to talk to you," she snapped.

"But Skye," Casey persisted, stepping closer to Nathan and Skye. "She said she doesn't want to talk to you," Nathan spoke, his tone aggressive and his fists clenched. Skye gripped onto his arm. She knew he wouldn't let anyone hurt her. "Oh, I see how it is. You've moved on. You don't love me anymore," Casey said, annoyance evident in his voice. "Of course I've moved on! You ruined my life!" Skye shouted at him.

"You know what? I was going to take you back. But you obviously don't deserve me," Casey said. Skye gripped Nathan's arm tighter as her tears threatened to fall. "I think you'd better leave," Nathan told Casey. He laughed and shook his head at them both. "I hope you have a great life with your badass British boyfriend," Casey said before turning around and walking away.

Skye relaxed and Nathan turned to look at her. "Come on. Let's get out of here." Nathan took Skye's hand and led her over to his car. The two of them got in and Nathan slammed his foot down on the accelerator. He didn't say a word as he drove away from the cinema. He gripped onto the steering wheel so tightly that his knuckles turned white.

"What happened between you and Casey?" Nathan asked as he pulled up on the coastline where they had been a few days ago. He shut off the engine and turned to look at Skye. "I'm not ready to tell you," Skye replied as she wiped underneath her eyes to get rid of any tears that may have fallen. The two of them got out of the car and walked to the edge of the cliff. Nathan tucked some of Skye's hair behind her ear and stepped closer to her. "I won't let anyone hurt you," he whispered and pressed his lips against her forehead. Skye smiled and looked up at him.

"Are you still scared of me?" Nathan asked. "Would it be bad if I said 'a little'?" she replied. Nathan smirked and pressed his lips against hers. "You're so cute and innocent. And you're not my type of girl. But there's just something about you that keeps me coming back for more," Nathan told her. Skye didn't reply. She didn't say a word or move a muscle as Nathan kissed her jawline. Truth be told, Skye loved every second she spent with him. But she knew he had a dark side and that's what terrified her.

"Stay at my place tonight," Nathan whispered as he pulled away from her. Skye nodded and the two of them walked back to the car.

Just as the two of them walked towards Nathan's building Skye saw something she didn't want to. Jace was in an alley nearby with a gang. He appeared to be in the middle of the gang and not as a part of it. Skye dropped Nathan's hand as Jace took a hit to his face. She ran across the road to the alley and started tugging at one of the gang members' arms. She forced her way into the middle of the group and stood in front of Jace.

"Leave him alone!" she shouted. The gang laughed and she felt Jace's hand in hers. She stepped closer to him as Nathan reached the group. "Alright, mate," a member of the gang said to him. Nathan frowned at him. "Go," he told them. "But this is the job you told us-"

"Go!" Nathan snapped. The gang backed off and ran away from the alley. "You told them to do this?" Skye questioned, catching on to what was going on. "No, I-" Nathan started. "Why? Why would you do that to Jace?"

"Skye," Nathan sighed. "You stay away from me...and him!" she shouted and turned to Jace. She placed her hands on his swollen face and he winced. "Skye, let me explain," Nathan said from behind her. "Just go!" she shouted at him. He sighed before walking away.

"Jace, it's okay. I'm going to sort you out," she soothed. "No. You have to go with Nathan," he told her. "It's fine. He's gone."

"Go with him," Jace demanded. "He doesn't matter."

"Skye, listen to me," Jace said and looked down at her, "You have to go with him. If you don't then he might hurt you or someone close to you. He's dangerous but he won't hurt you if you do as he asks."

"W-what? I don't understand," Skye stuttered. "The reason that gang were here tonight is because I was trying to interfere with your relationship. Nathan didn't like that. You have to go after him, Skye, for your own safety." Skye took a deep breath and shook her head. "Oh my God. I can't be near him now that I know that," she told Jace. "You have to, Skye. I promise you that I'll find a way to get you out of this," Jace told her. She nodded and kissed his cheek before leaving the alley.

Skye jogged into Nathan's building and into the elevator. She keyed in the code that Nathan had tapped in many times before the doors shut and she went up to his apartment. Skye found herself shaking as she knocked on Nathan's door. There was the shuffling of feet before the door was opened to reveal a slightly peeved Nathan. "Skye," he breathed, "I knew you'd come back."

"Y-yeah," she said shakily as she walked into his flat. Nathan led her into the living room where Tom and Max were sat. "Nice to see you again, Babe," Tom greeted. Skye smiled weakly as Nathan tugged her over to the sofa. She reluctantly sat down beside him and he laced their fingers together.

"We'll carry this on later, mate," Max said as he stood up. Nathan nodded and watched the two of them leave. The flat fell into silence and all that could be heard was their breathing. Nathan was the first to move when he kissed Skye softly on the lips. She squeezed her eyes shut as he trailed kisses along her jawline once again.

"What is it?" Nathan asked as he pulled away from her. Skye's eyes shot open to see him staring at her. "N-nothing," she stuttered. "What did he tell you?" he questioned, immediately knowing why Skye's actions were distant. Skye's heart skipped a beat. She knew she'd have to find a way out of this conversation. But she also knew that when she was with Nathan she was at her most vulnerable, making it very difficult for her to lie to him. "Who?" she asked shakily. "Jace."

"He didn't tell me anything," Skye replied. "Don't lie to me," Nathan warned. "I'm not, I swear."

"Yes you are!" he shouted. Skye cowered away from him and into the corner of the sofa. He suddenly realised his mistake and felt horribly guilty. He relaxed his muscles and calmed his temper. "Skye, I'm sorry. I won't hurt you. Don't be afraid," Nathan apologised. Skye stayed in her self-defensive position as Nathan kissed her arm. "Princess, I'm sorry," he whispered. Skye slowly relaxed and looked up at Nathan. "I won't hurt you. I promise," he told her, "you do understand that, right?"

Skye nodded and Nathan wrapped his arms around her. "Please just let me protect you? Let me take care of you and love you because I swear I will." Skye relaxed in his arms and breathed in his familiar scent. She knew that as long as she stayed on the right side of him she and the people she loved wouldn't get hurt. "You're mine," he whispered and kissed her cheek, "every last piece of you. Mine."