Chapter Ten

Skye and Nathan sat down in their usual seats in their history classroom. The whiteboard had today's date and lesson objective scrawled across it. Professor Finley was sat at his desk, his glasses resting on the bridge of his nose as his eyes focused on the paper he held in his hand.

Nathan let go of Skye's hand and she placed her books on the desk before smiling at him."How about you stay at mine tonight? My mum is out of town for the weekend," Skye suggested."I like the sound of that," Nathan replied with a smirk on his face.

Skye and Nathan had been together for just over a month. It had recently occurred to Skye that she rarely saw her mum and friends since she'd met Nathan. It worried her slightly but she enjoyed Nathan's company. He knew exactly how to speak to her and touch her to make her feel good.

"Good afternoon, class," Professor Finley began. Skye started taking notes as Professor Finley went on and Nathan watched her intently. She was so innocent and he liked that, it fascinated him. He knew she wasn't the usual type of girl he'd go for. He normally went for a stereotypical cheerleader who was up for a good time. But there was just something about Skye that made him want her.

"Can I help you?" Skye whispered, noticing Nathan's eyes on her, all the while not taking her eyes off her page. Nathan hummed, "in more ways than you think." Skye smirked slightly before shaking off his comment and placing her pen on the desk. She raised her hand in the air and waited for Professor Finley to notice her. "Yes, Skye?"

"May I be excused for private study?" she asked. Professor Finley looked down at his notes before nodding. Skye picked up her books before quickly exiting the classroom. She walked down the empty corridor and stopped outside her locker, expecting Nathan to follow after her. The same thing had been playing on her mind all week and she couldn't concentrate anymore. She shoved her books into her locker and sighed.

"Can I ask you something?" she questioned as she closed the door of her locker and turned to look at Nathan who had now appeared, leaning against the row of lockers. "Anything," he answered. "Why do you keep having 'secret talks' with your friends when they come round to the flat? Why can't I hear the conversations?" Skye asked Nathan. He sighed deeply, rubbing the bridge of his nose between two of his fingers.

"Skye, you'll find out one day. But right now, you need to just trust me," Nathan told his girlfriend. Skye frowned at him, unsatisfied with his answer as he took her hand in his. "All I want to do is protect you," he told her as he curled some of her hair behind her ear. Skye kissed his palm and closed her eyes briefly. "I know that," she whispered before stepping away from him. His hand dropped and she walked silently along the corridor, leaving him standing alone.

Skye walked out of the college and took out her phone. She dialled Jace's number and put the phone to her ear. "Skye?" his low, alpha male voice spoke as he answered the phone. It was edging on creepy. "You lied," Skye told him, trying to keep her determined composure, despite how on-edge his creepy tone made her feel. "I'm sorry. I can't help you. There's nothing I can do," Jace told her. "Not that. You told me he'd hurt me," she snapped.

Jace went silent as he was clearly not sure what to say so Skye took the opportunity to hang up the phone. She turned around and stepped into view of the doors to the college just as Nathan came out of them. He frowned and jogged over to her. "I have to tell you something," she said, her voice shaky. "What is it?" he asked as he placed a hand on her cheek, his thumb rubbing lightly over her skin.

"I love you," she whispered. Nathan forced a smile but he couldn't shake the dread he felt. He loved her back but he didn't want her to love him. That would make everything harder. All the secret conversations, all the planning...everything. It meant that the longer he spent with Skye, the harder it would be for everything to work out.

"I love you too," Nathan replied and kissed her. Skye enjoyed the moment as if it were the start of forever with him while Nathan held her close knowing that there weren't many opportunities left for him to do so.