Chapter Twenty Two

Nathan ran a hand through his hair and glanced at the door to Skye's room in the hospital. He just wanted her to wake up. All he had thought about was her beautiful eyes looking up at him after he had successfully caused Jace just the right amount of pain to call it self defence. She had looked so relieved to see him and he felt the same way until her eyes had closed.

"Mr Sykes," Dr Jones spoke as she picked up Skye's notes. "Just tell me when I can take her home," Nathan replied, resenting the doctor for having him arrested. "Mr Sykes, you must understand that I have a duty of care and if I suspect abuse then I have to report it. I'm terribly sorry for the mistake," she told him.

Nathan crossed his arms over his chest, his muscles tense while waited for the doctor to carry on. "Skye will be discharged shortly as long as there is someone to take care of her," she explained.

"Good," Nathan replied before going into the room where his girlfriend was laid. Her face lit up at the sight of him. Nathan rushed over to her and kissed her lightly on the lips. She laced their hands together and beamed up at him.

"I'll take you back to Tom's flat soon, Princess," he told her and let her hand slip out of his but she gripped onto him. "Please don't let go," she whispered desperately, not wanting to be left alone again. Nathan brought Skye's hand up to his face and kissed the back of it lightly. "I'll never let go," he replied.

When Skye was finally discharged from the hospital, Nathan took her back to Tom's flat. "Cup of tea?" he asked her once he'd helped her sit down on the sofa. "Yeah, I'll make it," she replied, attempting to stand up. "No. You need to rest," he told her and she frowned.

"Nathan, I'm fine. He can't hurt me anymore," Skye pointed out. "He's not the only one trying to hurt you, Skye. There are other people out there who are after you because of me. The least I can do is protect you."

Skye sighed heavily, finally giving in as Nathan went into the kitchen. She didn't want everyone to tiptoe around her. She was just fine.

The door opened and Tom walked in. He grinned at Skye before sitting down beside her. "Good to see you back," he said and kissed her cheek. "Why weren't you at the hospital?" she asked. "I was at the police station. Everything's sorted now though. You don't need to worry about Jace anymore. And if you don't want to be in this flat anymore then we can find somewhere different for you to stay. Just say the word. I'll completely understand," he explained.

Skye smiled. "Thanks, Tom. But I'll be okay," she replied. Nathan returned with her cup of tea and she smiled gratefully. "I spoke to your mum," Nathan told her and she raised her eyebrows. "What did you say?"

"I just explained everything. Told her about Jace. Told her that you're safe with us now," Nathan explained as if it was the easiest thing he'd done. "And she believed you?" Skye asked, clearly surprised. Nathan smirked. "She likes me, remember?"

Skye smiled at the memory of Nathan sat in the kitchen of her house in America, talking to her mum.

"Can we go to bed?" she asked realising just how tired she was. Her eyes flicked over to the clock to see it was 6pm. "Sure. But don't you want to wait for everyone else?" Nathan replied. She shrugged and took a sip of her tea.

"Good evening," Jay spoke, right on cue as he entered the flat with Siva. "Hey," Skye greeted. "There's our little trooper," Siva piped up, ruffling Skye's hair. She made a sound of disapproval as she attempted to flatten her hair.

Kelsey and Max arrived shortly after and sat down on the other sofa. Nathan smiled at Skye and held out a hand out for her. She reached for it and attempted to pull herself up but failed. Nathan picked her up bridal style and carried her into the spare bedroom.

"Night," he called before kicking the door shut behind him. He walked over to the bed and laid her down carefully. She smiled weakly up at him. "Promise me something?" she asked as he began to remove his clothing. "What?"

"Promise me you'll never leave me?" she whispered. Nathan dropped his shirt on the floor and turned to look at her. He placed a hand on his chest and breathed out. "You'll always be in my heart, Skye. No matter where I am, no matter what I'm doing. You will always be with me and I will always be in your heart. You have a piece of me that you can keep forever," he told her.

Nathan took his jeans off then helped Skye undress before tucking her into the bed. He walked round to the other side and climbed in next to her. Nathan wrapped his arms round her delicate body and she snuggled into his chest. All Skye could hear was Nathan's heartbeat. A heartbeat was such a delicate but powerful thing. If it stopped you'd stop living.

Nathan kissed Skye's forehead and she smiled at how safe and warm she felt in his arms. She lightly traced the tattoos on his arm with her finger. Nathan relaxed his muscles as he let the fragile girl in his arms sooth him with her light touch. Every part of him needed to protect her. He knew she was anything but safe in London but they couldn't leave the country. That would only put her in even more danger. Nathan had considered just surrendering himself to them but he knew they'd still come for Skye. They wanted her so they could cause him as much pain as they could.

"I love you, Skye," he whispered.