Chapter Thirty Four

Tom and Kelsey arrived at the villa the evening of the day they had fled from the flat. Tom took Kelsey's hand and walked up to the door. He knocked twice and waited. Skye opened the door and smiled weakly before stepping aside and allowing them to go inside the villa.

"Where's Nathan?" Tom asked as they sat down in the villa. Skye looked up at him for a moment before bursting into tears. Tom immediately wrapped his arms around Skye. "Hey, don't cry, Babe," he soothed. "This is all my fault," she sobbed. "I'm sure it's not, Skye. What's happened?"

She pulled away from him and he placed his hand on her cheek wiping her tears away with his thumb. "He-" she started. "What's going on?" Nathan interrupted. Tom, Skye and Kelsey all looked over at the bedroom door to see Nathan stood with clenched fists, glaring at Tom. Skye pushed Tom's hand away from her face and rushed over to Nathan. She clung to Nathan's tensed arm and she had honestly never felt so pathetic.

"Skye, go to the bedroom," Nathan told her through gritted teeth. Skye did exactly as she had been told without hesitation and left the three of them alone. "Kelsey, you can go and unpack in the spare bedroom," Nathan said. Kelsey picked up the small bag she had brought with her and went into the other bedroom and shut the door.

"Thanks for letting us stay here," Tom spoke. Nathan didn't reply as he watched Tom look round the living room. "So, what's wrong with Skye?" he asked. "You tell me," Nathan replied, still glaring at him. Tom raised his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"You're meant to be my best friend. Stand by me and all that."

"I am. What's going on?" Tom questioned, clearly confused. "You know!" Nathan snapped. "No. I really don't," Tom answered. "Don't lie!"

"I'm not lying!"

"How can you not see?!"

"See what?!"

"She loves you!" Nathan shouted. Tom stared at him for a moment, unsure of how to react. "She loves me?" he asked and Nathan nodded. "Just please, tell me you don't feel the same," Nathan half begged, feeling emotionally drained for the first time. "Of course not. I love her as a friend. But not like I love Kelsey," Tom replied.

"What am I supposed to do?" Nathan spoke as he sat down on the sofa and ran his hands through his hair. Tom sat down beside him and thought for a moment. "I think only you can answer that question, Nath. But I know that you'll do right because you love her. And love can never be deceived, hidden or cheated. Love is true and pure. It makes you do stupid things sometimes but it brings you right back to where you're meant to be. And only you know where that is, Nath," Tom explained.

"She's everything to me. When she told me she loved you, it crushed me. I never knew I could love anything or anyone as much as I love her. I didn't think it was possible. Losing her isn't an option. But loving her is the only one I have," Nathan told him.

"I'll give you some time alone," Tom said as he stood up and left the room. Nathan sighed and sat back on the sofa. Just imagine the only person you've ever truly loved telling you they love someone else. It's killing you just thinking about it, right?

Nathan walked over to the bedroom door and knocked lightly. There wasn't a reply so he knocked again but a little louder. "Skye?" he spoke. No reply.

"I know you're annoyed, Babe. But just hear me out." No reply. He pushed the door open to find an empty room. And by the word empty, I mean nothing but the bed and Nathan's clothes. He walked further into the room and looked around. There was no sign of her. He ran over to the open window and saw the endless blue sea and the long road beside it. She was gone. He grabbed the note that was taped to the window frame and quickly read it.

I'm so sorry Baby. I love you more than you'll ever know. Don't forget me, Nathan.

"Tom!" Nathan shouted urgently as he ran out of the bedroom. Tom flung the door open and looked at Nathan's panicked facial expression. "She's gone," he said and ran both his hands through his hair. "Gone?" Tom questioned. "Yes! She left!" Nathan snapped feeling a mix of emotions. "We have to find her. I can't be without her. Not now. Not ever."

"Okay, okay. We'll find her. Don't worry. Kelsey, call Skye," Tom said. Kelsey dialled Skye's number and put the phone to her ear. It went straight to answer phone. Tom was looking at Kelsey in desperation. She shook her head and Tom cursed.

"Nathan, go to the car. I'll be there in a minute," Tom told him. Nathan did just that and Tom turned to look at Kelsey. "Stay here in case she comes back. Hopefully we'll have found her by tonight but if not I'll call you and tell you the situation," Tom explained and she nodded.

"I'll see you soon," he said and kissed her. "I love you," she whispered and he replied, "I love you too."