Chapter 2: Interactions

Rick walked in and went over to Camila pulling her into a hug a gently kissing her. Kate thought he was gorgeous. Some part of her was jealous because she wanted him, but he belonged to her sister. He walked over to Kate and kissed her hand.

"Richard Castle, it's a pleasure to meet you." He said giving Kate a warm smile.

"Katherine Beckett, it's wonderful to meet you." She replied, smiling back, feeling an instant connection at their touching hands.

"Ok," Camila said locking arms with her husband, "the guests should be arriving soon so let's get ready. I'm going to go get extra plates, from the closet upstairs ok, honey?"

"Okie dokie." Rick replied kissing her cheek. Kate walked around the house and sat on the couch. Rick had noticed her face the moment he entered but he didn't want to say anything, she was beautiful, stunning even with the cuts and bruises on her face. He strolled over and sat down next to her. He placed a hand on her knee causing her to look him straight in the eyes.

"What happened?" He asked, his ocean eyes causing her to drown.

"Um-work." Kate sheepishly replied, feeling uncomfortable about his hand placement but maybe he's just a very comforting man.

"I don't recall Camila telling me what you do."

"I- I'm a cop, a detective." She was debating whether or not she was going to lie to him. But some part of her told her to tell the truth. So she did.

"In homicide?"

"Yes."

"Do you enjoy your job?"

"I like putting the criminals behind bars."

"That must be fun, but," he gently cupped her cheek and softly brushed his thumb over her bruise, "is it worth getting beaten up all the time?"

"I've had my fair share of injuries, but they all get better eventually." She said frowning and looking down, removing his hand from her cheek.

"What do you mean?"

Kate didn't get the chance to answer because her sister was descending the stairs with the extra plates in her hand. She placed them on top of the other ones and walked over to her sister and her husband.

"What were you guys talking about?" She asked sitting by Rick and placing an arm around his neck.

"Just how she got the stitches." Rick replied.

"Wow, will it leave a scar?"

"Probably." Kate replied gently touching it and giving in with a slight flinch.

"Well," her sister began, "the guest should be arriving soon so we'll have to get ready. And Kate I invited Rick's brother, Logan, and maybe you two could get to know each other. That would be cute, he's Rick older brother."

"Really Camila?" Kate complained.

"Yeah, really? You know we fight all the time, and to set him up with Kate? She deserves better." Rick said. This comment could be interpreted in different ways. The way Kate interpreted it made her blush. He wanted her to get the best she deserved. It made her feel all warm and tingly inside. But she shook off the feeling and sighed. This was a bad idea and it wasn't going to end well.

As the guests began to arrive Logan entered with a sassy and not classy blonde hooked around his arm with a cocky smile on his face. Rick, Camila, and Kate had stayed together the most of the night.

"Well so much for the Logan theory." Camila frowned.

"It's for the best." Rick chimed in.

"Which one is Logan?" Kate asked.