Chapter 17: Exit

Kate had been in the hospital for about a week and was getting ready to be released because she has healed rather quickly. She still hadn't talked much to Rick and Camila, but she really enjoyed the company of the doctors. The bandage was off of her head and only a few bruises remained and they were faded. She could fully nod and talk but she hadn't smiled or laughed since, with the exception of the one moment with Rick.

Dr. Shepard entered with a fellow doctor who was most likely his intern.

"Meredith?" Rick asked when he saw the intern.

"Hi." She smiled.

"Hi."

"Hi-"

"Hi..."

"Hi?"

"How do you two know each other?" Kate asked after everyone in the room exchanged a slightly uncomfortable and brief hello.

"We met in the hall, I ran into her." Rick stated.

"I gave him my coffee." Meredith added.

"How nice." Kate awkwardly smiled.

"Well," Derek began, "after this check up if everything is in order you'll be free to go, does that sound alright?"

"Yes." Kate smiled before Dr. Shepard grinned and placed a gentle hand on Meredith's shoulder with a charming look in his eyes and a gentle nod, before turning and leaving the room, with Meredith blushing and turning to examine Kate.

"You and Shepard?" Kate asked, somewhat relieved that if she was with Dr. Shepard that she surely wouldn't be in a relationship with Rick anytime soon.

"McDreamy...I would like to say yes, because we are, but our situation is rather complicated." Meredith said feeling Kate's stomach and ribs.

"Never like those." Kate responded with a slight flinch.

"Ok, it looks like everything is ok, which means that you can go home and get even healthier. Now if there are any questions you should have I can bring Derek-Dr. Shepard back in while I go get the paperwork. Just make sure to stay in bed for awhile and keep yourself fed and hydrated. We would recommend having someone stay with you, a friend, a relative to help you if you need anything and if there's any serious problems to call, and it would be nice not to be all alone while the pain still comes and goes, alright?"

"Alright." Kate sighed.

"Do you have questions, comments?"

"No, I'm good, Dr.-?"

"Grey. Dr. Grey, well Meredith, Doctor Meredith Grey."

"Well thank you Meredith, and I hope that everything between you and your lover works out."

"Thank you, I'll go get the paperwork." Meredith laughed and left.

A few seconds later Kate pulled back the bed covers and sat up swinging her legs gently over the side of the bed, bracing herself to stand.

"Do you need any help?" Rick asked ready to help her.

"No," Kate insisted, "I'm fine. Im always going to be fine." She then pushed off of the bed to stand but couldn't hold her weight and shriveled down. Both Rick and Camila raced to her side and helped brace her.

"Where do you want to go, sis?"

"I want to go to the bathroom and I want to change and get ready before I can leave this place." Kate huffed.

"Do you want help? Because I can help-"

"I don't need anything, I'm fine."

"Are you sure-"

"I said I'm fine! For the millionth time..." she trailed off and broke away form Rick and Camila and made it into the bathroom and closed and locked the door.

Kate looked at herself in the mirror and almost jumped. She looked awful she thought. She couldn't even look up again. She started to cry so she closed the toilet lid and sat down, she was so weak. She hated seeing herself like this. It always brought down her confidence level and she would be stuck there for awhile.  Then the thought came to her mind that someone would have to stay with her! Rick was already kind of doing that, but after what he did to her because she wouldn't sleep with him she couldn't even look at him, or her sister. She didn't even want to get started on that.

Doing the best that she could she put on some clothes, which were the easiest to get on. she was wearing a large sweatshirt and some leggings. She wobbled to the door and rested against it for a few seconds before stepping back and unlocking it and pulling it back and walking through. Rick and Camila were whispering but it instantly stopped when Kate stepped out. Great, she thought, it's probably about me.

She made it back to the bed with the two pairs of eyes on her and held her breathe through the pain. Meredith reentered the room and handed Kate the papers and a pen.

"Just fill these out and give them to the front desk before you leave and you're good to go." She smiled.

"Thank you." Kate said beginning to write. It didn't take her long to fill them out and when she was finished she sent them down next to her and sighed.

"I need someone to drop me off." She stated weakly.

"I'll do it." Both Rick and Camila answered at the same time. The two were hoping that they would get a chance to reconcile with Kate.

"Rick, could you-"

"I would love nothing more. When you're ready?"

"I'm ready." Kate finished standing.

"If you need anything just call." Camila said retreating out the door with slumped shoulders. Rick took the papers from Kate's hand and went to turn in the papers and was followed back in with Dr. Shepard rolling a wheelchair.

"No way." Kate forced.

"It's hospital policy, trust me, it seems normal to everyone but the person in it. It won't take that long." Dr. Shepard smiled.

"Fine, just-hurry." Kate quickly switched from bed to chair and Derek began pushing her through the corridors with Rick trailing wanting to give some space and not seem suffocating to Kate. He had no idea what was going on through her mind but he wanted to find out.

When they reached the door Kate slowly stepped out, "thank you so much...and I hope everything works out with you and Meredith, from what I can tell she really likes you." Kate finished with a small wave and her and Rick walked slowly to his car which wasn't that far away. He helped her in and got in and started the engine.

"You ready?" He asked hopefully.

"Just drive." She scolded.

SORRY FOR THE WAIT JUST HAVING SOME PERSONAL ISSUES HOPE YOU ENJOY ✌🏼

QOTC: WHOSE YOUR FAVORITE MUSIC

I HAVE A VERY VERSATILE OPINION IN MY GENRE INTERESTS

     - K