Chapter 24: Stories

Read authors note at end, please...
_______

Rick didn't know what to think. He didn't know how to act. This was no small matter. This was huge. Kate had been shot. Shot! And he had no idea. Why hadn't Camila brought this up? Did she even know? How come he hadn't? How come he didn't notice when they were on the couch at Camila's that one time? Sure it was dark, but damn, how long has this been kept a 'secret?'

"W-how did this happen?" Castle stuttered out.

"How do you think? Someone shot me." Kate snapped.

"Why?" He had so many questions.

"I really don't feel like talking about it, Castle. It's in the past." She steered.

"Yeah, a past I didn't know about. Does Camila know?"

"Of course she knows. A lot of people know."

"How come I didn't?"

"Because you just came into my life. Plus, it's not a subject I like talking about."

"Why not?"

"Castle!"

"I'm sorry. I just feel like there are so many things you're keeping from me."

"And what if I am? I don't have to tell you everything."

"I know that."

"Then leave it alone."

"I'm sorry."

"Quit saying you're sorry."

"Just know that if you ever want to talk-"

"I don't."

"I know, but if-"

"I won't." She added looking away from him crossing her arms across her chest.

He sighed to himself and got up of the bed. Kate felt the shifting and followed his body with her eyes. He walked around the bed to her side and sat down right next to her. He placed his hands together with hers.

"Kate, listen to me."

She raised her eyebrows to indicate that she was.

"I don't know what more to say that what you already know. I want to be the man that you dreamed about growing up. I can be a prince, I can be anything, I just want to be it with you. I'm not trying to tell you how to deal with things because it's your life, I just want you to know what you're giving off. I-i just feel like you don't want my help, i feel like you don't want anything from me, and I don't blame you. But I also know that you feel this same connection that I feel. You keep you're feelings tied together in a not so perfect bow. You don't open up easily which is a good thing, but I don't want you to shut me out either. I may be coming off selfish only talking about me, and you, and not an us. But believe there is nothing more I want than an us. You know what I dreamed about last night? Us. And we were married and we had kids and we were the happiest family. I hope if we stay together you'll eventually feel comfortable enough to open up to me, and tell me things you've kept in for so long. The things that you thought you had to handle alone. I never want you to feel alone, and I want us to be able move forward and not leave behind the past, but carry it with us as a motivator to fight. Fight for us. For ourselves, for everything." He finished his passionate speech with his heart on his sleeve. Kate could tell that he truly felt guilty for what he had done, and to be honest, she wanted to forget about everything and move on. She gave him a quick peck on the lips before she responded with a slight glimmer in her eyes.

"I will always fight for us." She smiled and wrapped hers arms around the back of his neck before leaning in his a loving kiss. There was no secret agenda for either of them, except kissing once and laying back down. She curled up into his arms and he held her with love.

"You don't have to tell me anything, you don't even have to tell me your middle name, just know that I'll be here for you." He kissed the top of her head.

"Houghton."

"Bless you?" He joked and she hit him playfully in the chest.

"Hey!"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I like it. I feel like it fits you."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it flows good. Katherine Houghton Beckett. Katherine Houghton Castle."

"What-"

"Just thinking, hoping, dreaming."

"Yeah well keep dreaming." She joked this time.

"Really?" He sounded scared and frightened. He was worried because he wanted a life with her. A marriage. A family. What if she didn't.

"Hey?" Beckett called, interrupting him from his short loss of reality.

"I should go." He said sitting up.

"I was joking, Castle. A joke? You heard of one before?" She was trying to lighten the mood.

"Y-yeah I know."

"No you don't, I didn't mean to upset you Castle."

"You didn't." He shrugged. The last thing Kate wanted to do was upset him, he had just poured his heart out to her. And she wasn't going to lie she wanted a life with him too, it was just going to take a while for her them to get back to the way they were. If they were ever in a good way. She knew he was a playboy but she thought that maybe after the wedding and after a few years of marriage that image and mindset would cease. But it didn't. That's probably why he had been so quick to sleep with her. She was foolish to think if it any different. But, now, seeing him trying to turn his life around, made her want him even more. She realized that he really is a good person, and wants love and to be loved just as much as anyone else. That's probably why he's so quick with sex. She figures that there are so many of these woman throwing themselves at him that he has everything, all the love he could need. But no, the love isn't for him, it's for his looks or his money, never for his heart, or his personality. And that's all she cared about. Kate couldn't care less if he was rich, she'd love him if he was homeless, she hoped he would do the same for her.

"I did and I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too."

"I have a proposal."

"And that is?"

"We never say the word sorry."

"I'm sorry?"

"Don't be a smart ass, in serious. If we don't say the word sorry that means we have nothing to be sorry for."

"Not necessarily."

"You get what I mean though don't you?"

"Yes? Don't fight so we don't want to say 'I'm sorry', or don't do something you know you'll be sorry for?"

"Exactly."

"Sounds easy enough."

"Sounds isn't the same as is."

"Believe me, I know. But Kate, I think it's a good idea, and I have a feeling that we can make this work."

"Me too."

"I really do love you."

"I know."

"And I hope in time you'll love me too, but no matter what you say, or what you feel, my love for you will never change."

"Good." She kissed him softly and they fell back into each other's arm for a quick nap, each on dreaming about the future, good future. Hopefully in time, and with luck, they would get it.

HEYOOO, SO QUICK THING IM FAILING TWO CLASSES AT SCHOOL RIGHT NOW AND HAVE A SIX OAGE OAPER DUE TOMORROW AND IM ONLY ON PAGE ONE AND I NEED TO WORK ON SCHOOL AND IM NOT SAYING IM NOT UPDATING ANYMRE JUST AN UPDATE EVERY FOUR OR FIVE DAYS INSTEAD OF EVERY OTHER DAY AND THINGS LIKE THAT, ANYWAYS I HOPE YOU ENJOY!

        - K