II .Together Forever ?. II

Aunt Grace introduced me to everyone that worked in this Orphanage before telling me to find a telephone if anything is wrong and kissing my forehead good bye.

I was happy to finally be away from Uncle Erwin. He didn't try to touch me every night, but he did often when he went to the bar.

"Hi, I'm Cindy what's your name"

I turned around to see if the voice was talking to me.

"I'm Norma Jeane"

"You want to be friends ", she asked

"Sure , I don't have any friends here"

"It's only because you're new, you'll get used to every kid here, how old are ya"

"I'm eight "

"Haha you're like a baby, I'm nine"

"No way you're nine, you're as tall as me"

"Well I am, shortest nine year old you'll find"

Me and Cindy fit together like two flocks of a feather. We got along for a couple of hours of play time before we started walking on the side walk to go to the candy store.

"Hey girl what's your name"

I again turned around to see if someone was talking to me.

"Woah mama, you're a pretty girl", the boy said

"My names Norma Jeane", I stated

"Eh that's to boring, how about I call you something else"

"Like what", I asked

"I don't know but when I find out I'll tell you"

"What's your name boy"

"Well everyone knows me. The coolest eight year old on the negro side of the orphanage.", he continued to look at me as if I was supposed to magically know his name still.

"My names Cassius Clay", he said proudly.

"And this is Eddy", he said as he put his arm around Eddys neck pointing at him.

"Come on Cassius you're gonna scare my new friend".

"Awe Cindy we just wanted you to get us some candy, you know they threaten us if it's us coming in"

"What do you want Cassius"

"Just get us two soda pops and we'll leave you alone, promise "

Cindy said fine as we went into the candy store.

You see, negroes weren't allowed in some places, and where they were allowed, they either got the worst or picked on for nothing. If I had their color I would've probably did the same.

"Here's your sodas Cassius now leave us alone"

"Oh Cindy you make me laugh, I haven't even said anything to Norma Jeane yet"

"Forget it, she doesn't date black boys"

"Cindy, girls have cooties I don't even want to kiss her"

I don't know which one I felt needed a response the most.

We all continued walking back to our home until we were stopped in a alley by three boys.

"Oh Cindy what are you doing with these little tar boys ", one boy asked

"They were just walking us back"

"Well if I was them I would leave, Nat Turner wannabes"

"Mikey calm down", Cindy said before he interrupted.