XXXVI .Dead or Alive. XXXVI

"What do you mean, that's my baby she has in her stomach", I stated as I was trying to break past him.

"I'm sorry sir but you can't.....", a nurse said as he spread his arms out

"Wait , wait....", NJ said the best she could.

"Let him come, he's apart of this", she added on.

The nurse said as he put his arms down. I smirked as I ran past him.

We were now in the emergency room. I had to go through all this sanitary stuff just to be in the room.

"Alright I'm going to need you to push sweetheart ", the doctor said

"Come on baby, push", I said.

"UUUUUUUGH", she yelled

"I'm seeing the head. Come on Marilyn, come on"

"This is it NJ, she's coming. Just one more push.", I said trying to motivate her.

Finally she was here, my baby girl. She was so little, the smallest baby I had ever seen. They let me cut her cord.

"Baby look", I said as the doctor turned my new born over.

The doctor began to pat her rear to make her cry. She made no sound.

"Why isn't she crying?", I asked

I looked at NJ. She was pale in the face and there was sweat dripping down her face.

"Are you okay ?", I asked

"Yea I'm o....", she said before passing out.

"I'm sorry sir, we're going to need you to step out."

"Wait what", I asked

"We're going to need to perform an emergency operation sir", the doctor said

"On who", I asked frantically

"On the mother and child"

The other nurses began to pull and push me out of the room.

"NJ, NJ WAKE UP. GET UP", I yelled

"NJ PLEASE I LOVE YOU, GET OFF ME"

They finally got me out the room.

"Get your damn hands off me", I stated

"Let me back in there. That is the love of my life and the mother of my child. I need to see them both."

"We're sorry but, she has lost a lot of blood. None of this looks good. Her face was bloody and had bruises like she's been in a fight. The baby was extremely little meaning it's premature. What exactly happened.", asked a nurse

"Look I rather not talk about it at this moment", I responded

"Well I would practice if I were you because when the press is here it isn't going to look very good"

"All I care about is the woman that's in that room and the child that's in that room. Everything else can go to shit.", I stated

I finally sat down to rest my nerves. I threw the gloves and nurses outfit on the ground. Hours passed and it felt like a I was drowning in my own sorrows.

Drowning. Funny how that word brings back memories. When I was training Jr. I took him to the pool. I asked him how dedicated he was to being a boxer and how bad he wanted to win every match. After his response we played in the pool. When I saw him swimming to the top I held his feet until I felt like he had enough. After that I would ask how bad he wanted to breath, he would say very bad. I continued by telling him once he has the mindset to win as bad as he wanted to breath then no one will beat him. From that point on he would always practice boxing under water. Not only did this increase his speed, but it increased his strength. Call it barbaric if you want but he learned from it.

It felt like I was drowning. I wanted both my baby and NJ to be alright as bad as someone wants to breath when they only have one gasp of air left.

"Excuse me sir, are you here for Marilyn Monroe"

Finally.

"Yes, yes I am. Is she okay?", I asked

"Well there were a lot of medical issues. There was a lot of blood lost and internal bleeding....but she's doing fine.", he stated

Yes, I thought as I squeezed my fist pumping it in the air. I looked up to the sky saying thank you.

"Where is she", I asked

"She's in room 262 down the hall and the baby....", he tried to say before I ran off.

I was already to far down the hall to carry on a conversation with him any more.

I walked into the room to see NJ coming towards the door.

"Coming to find me ?", I asked with a smile

"Cassius", she said as she hopped to lay her lips on mine

"I was so scared. I didn't know what happened, everything turned black and I just...I didn't"

"NJ look, everything is fine. I'm here and you did it, you had her....speaking of, where is she", I asked

She looked down with sadness.

"Cassius I'm sorry", she said

"Sorry ? Sorry for what ?

"I couldn't protect her, I got her hurt."

"NJ don't be ridiculous. You were attacked."

"Yes and I should've known not to go around him without protection. The moment I did and look what happened"

"This wasn't your fault", I said

"But this is nothing you imagined or wanted", she stated

"I just don't want you to be disappointed", she continued

"NJ... no matter what the situation is, no matter what happens, we'll get through it together"

She looked at me and began to smile.

"Now...", I began

"Where is she"

She looked at her bed. I tried to follow her eye-line to look in the same direction.

On the side of the bed were machines and devices connected to something. Along with this were tubes.

I looked at her body to see if those tubes were connected to her.

She grabbed my hand and walked me over to her bed.

I looked down to see the answer to my question.

"I'm sorry I couldn't give you the perfect baby", she said looking me in my eyes.

A tear began to fall out my eyes.