#19: Portraits

Year One
Having grown up in the muggle world, even though her mother was a witch, Skye wasn't used to quite a few things. One of the biggest things was portraits. She had seen some realistic art before, but none of those had ever yelled at her to get to class.
So, obviously, when she realized she wasn't going absolutely mad, she did the logical thing. Went to look up the answer in her very own wizard world dictionary- the pureblood edition. Otherwise known as Fate Gray.
The young daughter of Hades knew Skye had questions, due to how little time she had spent with witches and wizards. But, it was a fair trade, seeing as Fate didn't understand many things about both muggle and demigod worlds.
• • •
Skye tapped Fate lightly on the shoulder one autumn Saturday morning when they were headed outside for some fresh air.
"What, Skye?" Fate inquired, knowing her question would be met with a question.
"Don't you take that patronizing tone with me! I just wanted to ask about the moving pictures and paintings," Skye exclaimed.
"What patronizing tone?!" Fate asked. "That one," Skye said.
"Skye, I'm from England. You know that-"
"That one right there!" Skye interrupted. Fate face palmed. "That's my accent genius!"
"Oh. Really? Anyways, answer my question; what's with the paintings here?" Skye asked.
"Nothing," Fate replied.
"What I mean is, why do they move?" Skye tried again.
Fate sighed and sat down on a log. "When a portrait is made, the personalities of the person they were made for go into it. For example, once I tried to sneak some extra dessert. My great aunt Margaret ratted me out very quickly. I have like five of those things yelling at me at home," she explained.
"Thank you," Skye said. "Wait. Why would they yell at you?" she questioned.
"I don't know. They usually just pick a flaw and yell at me for it," Fate replied.
Skye frowned. "That's awful."
"You get used to it after a while. I can mostly just ignore it now," Fate shrugged.
"Hey, do you want to go to the library?" Skye suggested.
"Why not," Fate agreed. When they walked into the library, a girl in a Slytherin uniform came up to them. She had light brown hair, hazel eyes, and was fairly tall.
"Hi Fate, what are you up to?" she asked.
Fate smiled. "Hi Ella." Then she turned to Skye. "This is my friend Ella Wilkins. She's in our year," Fate said.
Skye grinned and held out her hand for Ella to shake. "Hi Ella. I'm Skye Hunter."
Nice to meet you Skye," Ella said and shook her hand.
"Well, this was a great introduction, but there is something I just remembered I wanted to show Skye. So if you don't mind I'd like to get on with it," Fate said.
"That's fine, have fun," Ella waved.
Fate and Skye exited the library and walked down the hall. They stopped in front of a portrait of three men sitting at a table. "Why are we here?" Skye asked.
"These guys can answer a lot of your questions if you still have any. You just have to get their attention first," Fate said. The three men seemed to be having a heated discussion.
"You know what? I'm good. All I needed what a general description anyway," Skye whispered.As the girls walked down a hallway, the brunette cleared her throat. "You do realize that if we showed anyone these things, they would freak out, right?" she asked.
"That's why we don't. It's the Statute of Secrecy; non magical people can't know about our world. Unless they are immediate family." Fate explained.
"Fate, almost half of camp knows."
"But we're part of two things that need to be kept a secret from muggles or mortals, whatever you call them," she added. "So it's not that big a deal."
"Oh, I get it," Skye replied.
"Good," Fate said.