#12: The Room of Requirement

Year One
"Come on!" Skye said, pulling Fate even faster down the hall of the first floor. They both could hear the laughing Slytherins following them. "Which floor?"
"Fifth," Fate said, quietly so that the Slytherins behind them couldn't hear her. Then, to throw them off, she said in a loud, frantic tone, "Stay on the first floor! To the left!" Skye smiled. She loved Fate's clever thinking. They went up the twisting staircases, being as silent and stealthy as possible. They reached the fifth floor and started sprinting down the hall. Skye silently thanked Alice for all of those times she made Skye go for a run to make her faster. Suddenly, Fate skidded to a stop. Skye, not focusing, slammed into her. "Hey!" Fate exclaimed. "No touchy!"
"You let me touch you when we were running for our lives," Skye pointed out.
Fate's eyes grew wide as the fact dawned on her. She shrieked and wiped off the nonexistent germs on her sleeves. "Ew!" Skye just rolled her eyes and chuckled. "Anyway, I stopped because, well, look!"
Skye looked in front of her. A door- one she had never seen on this floor before- was straight ahead. It was made of dark oak wood and had a picture of a sun with crossbones behind it painted in the middle.
"It was made for us," Skye whispered in realization.
"Why do you think I stopped?" Fate snapped.
"Should we go inside?" Skye asked apprehensively.
Suddenly, voices came from behind the girls. "I can hear them!" one shouted. The sound of quick footsteps followed shortly after. Skye felt a cold feeling in her gut. The Slytherins. In response to Skye's previously asked question, Fate ran towards the door, motioning urgently for Skye to follow, which she did. Fate opened the door and rushed inside, Skye quickly following. Caught up in the moment, neither of the two noticed the luxurious room they were in, rather just put their ears up against the door to hear the Slytherins as soon as they shut the door. In only a few moments, they heard the sound of footsteps.
"I wonder what they're doing," Skye wondered aloud. As soon as she said it, the door became invisible. Fate jumped back, expecting the Slytherins to see her, but Skye stood at the door, mesmerized. "They can't see us," she whispered. "They have looked our way twice and still haven't noticed us."
"Woah," Fate breathed. She let out a laugh. "Look how stupid they are!" The group of Slytherins had split into pairs and were searching the rooms for the girls. Since there were only three pairs of people, not much was getting done. Daphne and Pansy were fighting on which room they should search, and two boys had completely given up and started to talk. Suddenly, Daphne's voice rose to a shout. Luckily, Fate and Skye could hear them.
"I can't believe that dumb Hufflepuff slipped out of my grasp!" Daphne whined, stamping her foot. "The next time I see her, I am going to hex her into Germany! I can't believe she insulted me like that!"
"To be fair," Pansy said, "you were being a little mean yourself."
"Whatever!" Daphne said. She kicked the floor in outrage.
Skye only giggled, not caring about the rude remarks about her. "She acts like a toddler!"
"She looks like a toddler," Fate said, smirking. Suddenly, Professor Snape came briskly walking around the corner of the hallway, a stack of parchment in his hand.
"What is the meaning of this?" he cried once he saw them.
"I don't feel like watching this," Skye said. She sat up- she had sat down cross-legged without realizing it- and turned to scan her surroundings.She gasped in shock.
The large room was neatly divided in two with a line of duck tape that went up to the door, and each side was clearly for each or them. Skye assumed the left side to be hers, since it was very colorful and cheery. The walls were painted a light mint green with white polka dots. In the closest corner to her was a white desk with a swivel chair (which Skye loved to play with). To the right of the desk was a floor to ceiling window that showed the Black Lake. Skye guessed it was some type of magical projection, since they weren't even facing it. Next to the window, nestled in the far left corner, was a cream-colored futon with purple blankets. Pushed next to it was a light blue sparkly beanbag chair, and to the right of that was a gigantic chest. It was made of dark colored wood- Skye guessed it to be the same material of the door- and had a silver latch on it. Finally, on the floor sat a gigantic plush turquoise rug. Skye grinned. She loved colorful fluffy things. As she eagerly walked towards it, she noticed to floor for the first time. "Polished wood," she whispered, a grin on her face. "Perfect flooding for sliding around on in just your socks." Of course, the daughter of Apollos had to slide on her socks the rest of the way. When she reached the rug, she fell face first into it. "This is very soft," she commented, her voice slightly muffled.
Fate, who was previously watching the Slytherins being questioned by Snape at the door, looked back to see what the heck Skye was doing. "Woah," she breathed, her eyes focusing on the right side of the room. "Is this mine?" The walls we a beautiful midnight blue, and the floors a dark wood- darker than Skye's, but lighter than the chest in the back of the room. To her immediate right was s bed with gray sheets pushed into the corner, with a nightstand next to it. In the middle of the room was a sophisticated-looking midnight blue rectangular rug- completely opposite from Skye's. Next to the chest- Fate decided to call it "the Trunk"- was a gray and white striped beanbag chair, and next to that was a simple dark gray desk and chair. On the far right wall was a miniature weapons rack. Next to it was a very small stack of books on Ancient Greek mythology and history, which was under a window, similar in magic to Skye's.
Fate smiled. "Secret hideaway, you think?"
Skye nodded, her face still pressed against the plush rug, making her words muffled a little. "Definitely. Secret hideaway."