Chapter 25: Rally of the Powerful Powerless

Joseph's point of view

My castle and kingdom both rest on a great expanse of plains for as far as the eye can see. It's honestly a pretty site to see.

Huge areas of farmland. Beautiful cities off in the distance and the occasional town.

Although the best part of my kingdom is the citadel. Inside of the citadel rests a good sized city that mainly serves as a crossroads for travelers and traders.

In the middle of the city stands my castle. My castle is entirely built of light gray concrete and it's many towers are just as tall as skyscrapers once were.

It's always great to be home, but today I had more important things on my mind then relaxing. I walked with a purpose to my castle.

I reached the gates in record time and was let in by the guards that had long ago learned that I come and go often.

I strolled through the castle gardens that held many delicate Cherry Blossoms, flowering Crepe Myrtles and tall yet slender birch trees. I loved plants, but I couldn't delay myself by looking at the plants that lived in the gardens.

Eventually I found my father in his study reviewing the trade of Barin.

"Father, I apologize for the intrusion, but we must talk." I said formaly.

"No need to apologize, son. What is it that you need to discuss?" My father said not looking up from the papers on his desk.

"Have you heard of the upcoming war?" I asked unsure if word had spread or not.

"Ah, yes. I've heard about it." Father replied distractedly.

"War is such an awful thing. Makes us seem like enemies for the side we've opposed." He continued.

I understood what he was getting at, but I could hardly believe it.

"What are you saying?" I asked my father in a tone tinged with outrage.

"I'm saying that war is not necessary for our kingdom." He replied. "None of our citizens are elementals, so we have no reason to join a fight against a crazy yet dangerous elemental."

What my father just said was the most cowardly thing I had ever heard. He hadn't once looked up from the papers he was examining and that angered me.

I left the study before I said something I would regret. I went to my room and went to sharpen my sword. With every time I sharpened my sword with my sharpening rock, I grew angrier and angrier.

I only calmed down when a pigeon flew into my window carrying a letter. I grabbed the bird carefully and took off the letter tied to its tiny talons.

The moment I saw who it was from, I became happier. However once I saw the contents of the letter, I left my room and walked briskly to the stables.

I hated being helpless and instead being forced to watch as my friends came up with solutions using magic.

I made it to the royal stables, found a light brown stallion, saddled the horse and took off.

In that moment ripping across the country side on a powerful stallion, I promised myself that I wouldn't ever be helpless again. That was final.

Ron's point of view

Once there had been many elementals in every single kingdom, but now they were scattered. Half of the kingdoms of New Earth had not a single elemental.

This well-known fact accounted for a lot of problems.

I waited outside for Joseph to arrive. It had been twenty minutes since I sent my letter describing the problems I was facing.

After another ten minutes of waiting, Joseph arrived. He got off his brown stallion and strode over to where I was sitting on a stray hay bale.

"I got your letter." Joseph said. "It would seem we have a common problem."

"You, too!" I exclaimed exasperated.

Despite our family's past rivalry, our father's were scarily alike.

"We're gonna do something about this injustice, right?" Joseph asked.

"Of course" I answered then an idea popped into my head, "and I've got just the idea."

Time skip to thirty minutes later

I was about to put my idea into action with the help of Joseph when I started to doubt my plan.

What if it doesn't work?

What if no one wants to help?

What if-

Before I could think of all the ways my plan could fail, I stopped myself. There was some risk involved, but what plan doesn't have a risk.

What I was doing could be classified as treason for disobeying my father's direct orders not to ger involved in the upcoming war.

Nonetheless I couldn't just abandon my friends and allow our home to be put in danger. I mustered all the confidence I could and put my plan into action.

My plan was simple and the only hard part would be to persuade my people to help with the upcoming war.

I watched the crowd intently waiting for when the small town would be filled to the brim with its residents, traders and travellers.

It had been forty minutes since Joseph left to start his part of the plan. He was going to be doing the same thing I was doing, but in his own kingdom.

I climbed on top of the fountain that was right in the middle of town square and started my part of the plan.

I just hoped Joseph and I would succeed.