25. Styrofoam cups filled with Ambrosia

"Where do you want to go?"

"Um... Take me to the Medical Centre, please." I chewed on my lip as I answered back.

Archer quickly turned his face towards me in concern, expecting an explanation that I was not willing to give.

I ignored his concern and turned my head, looking out of the window. It was beginning to get dark already.
I felt his gaze on me for a few more seconds and then he turned forward and focused on driving.

I clutched the phone tightly in my hands, expecting it to ring anytime but it didn't.

Ignoring, the fear creeping in my mind, I closed my eyes shut and enjoyed a few minutes in peace. The car suddenly halted and my eyes opened of their own accord to see Archer patiently looking at me.

I hurriedly tried to free myself from the trapping seat belt but clumsily fumbled with the buckle without much success. I felt a hand shot out and that quickly freed me from the seat.

Before I could fumble with the handle of the car, Archer reached forward, his warm body flushing against my back and quickly opened the door. As I stepped out, I heard him heave out a sigh.

Before I could shut the door, he was out too. He locked the car and I silently thanked him, to which he simply nodded.

I turned around and started pacing towards the hospital entrance, with him right beside me.

As soon as we both reached the reception, I realized that Archer won't really be happy to see who I was meeting.

"Archer, you really don't have to come with me."

He frowned at me. "I do, Olivia. You look so worried, I can't possibly leave you in this state alone." He stubbornly replied.

I shook my head at the unnecessary concern but didn't refuse. We both headed forward to face the scrawny receptionist wearing a pair of oversized glasses.

"How can I help you?" She smiled widely at us, as if she couldn't care less about the hundreds of possibly dying people in this world.

I wanted to snarl at her and bang her head against the fucking wall, but instead I decided to simply speak like a civilized being.

"Hi, I am here to see a patient named Blake Turner. He was taken to the ER two hours ago." As soon as the words left my mouth, I felt Archer stiffen beside me and he let out a guttural noise from the back of his throat.

The receptionist looked at me questionably.

"Ma'am. Are you a relative?"

I shook my head. "No, I... I am..."

"Ma'am, Mr. Turner is in a critical condition. You will only be allowed to see him if you are a relative or his girlfriend."

"Yes, yes! I am, I am his girlfriend!" I quickly said without even thinking twice and felt Archer's stony glare on me.

"And you sir, are you related?" She said as her eyes fell on Archer.

"I am in no fucking way r-" I cut him off in the middle of his sentence.

"Yes, he is Blake's brother."

"Okay, ma'am. Just give me a minute..."

The receptionist leisurely searched for the patient's details as I chewed on my nails. It was a habit that I really wanted to get rid of and I tried, but whenever I was panicked or worried, it was unstoppable.

"He is in Room 212. The lift is right there-"

"Thank you!" I cut her off and started pacing towards the lift, with a hesitant Archer behind me. We both got into the lift as soon as it came with a little ding and impatiently waited for it to move. I was expecting Archer to say something - anything, but all I heard was silence - cold and uncomfortable silence.