10. The Carnival

Song: Hymn for the weekend - Coldplay

I stood in front of the door numbered 304 and knocked. I heard some shuffling around in the room and soon Dylan opened the door.

"Hi Jacob!"

"Hey, Dylan. Can I come in?"

"Yeah, sure. The bed on the right, will be yours for the night."

"Thanks." I smiled as I looked up at him.

I sat down on the bed and looked around awkwardly. I seriously had no idea about what we should converse about. After a prolonged awkward silence, Dylan decided to speak.

"So Jacob, why did Archer kick you out of your room?" He said as he brushed his hand through his hair.

"He has a girl over."

Dylan snorted, "You know, Archer was never like this. I have known him for more than ten years. He always used to care about everyone and never fooled around with anyone. He has changed so much and I don't think the old caring Archer is ever going to return." Dylan said in deep thought.

"What changed him?" I asked curiously.

"That is not my secret to tell. If Archer is ready to open up, then only you will get to know his secret and believe me when I say that Archer does not open up that easily. It took him months to talk to his own best friend, one can't even imagine how long it will take for him to tell an unknown guy his deepest secret that haunts his soul and terrorizes his spirit. My guess is probably never."

*---*---*---*---*

I woke up early and messaged Archer, telling him that I won't be able to go to the carnival with him as I had to leave early.

I dressed up and took a backpack with me. After seeking permission from the receptionist, I left the school and caught a cab to reach home. I asked the cab driver to wait for a few minutes outside my house. After taking off my shabby wig, I entered my house.

"Mom! I'm home!" I screamed at top of my lungs.

"Olivia, be ladylike. Don't go screaming around the house." She said while coming out of the kitchen.

"And why in the heaven's name are you wearing your brother's clothes? It is such a sore sight. You should wear clothes that actually fit you." She said as her eyes fell on my crude attire.

Oh yeah, the 'manly'clothes.

"His clothes are just so comfortable that I can't resist wearing them."

"Okay, now go get ready to go to the carnival. I have laid down a dress for you on the bed."

"A dress? Why would I wear a dress to the carnival?"

"Because you are my daughter and I want to introduce you to my friends."

Without arguing further, I entered my room. Wow, I missed this place.

I laid down on my bed and heaved out a sigh. These past few days have been so hectic.

I looked to my right to see a beautiful red dress. Even though I am not a big fan of dresses, this one stole my heart. It was simple and beautiful at the same time, it had long netted sleeves which gave it a touch of elegance.

Excitedly, I grabbed the dress and tried it on. It fit perfectly, accentuating the little curves that I have. For the first time, I could say that I looked good in a dress and had a desire to look better. I put on some make up and wore my black pumps. I put some of my brother's clothes and my wig in the bag as I promised the guys that I would meet them there. I don't want Archer to be suspicious about my disappearance anyway.