27. Secrets

"As many of you might know, we have our National Soccer Tournament starting this week and our match happens to be on the upcoming Saturday." Our coach said as we flocked around him.

Whispers break through our little circle as we all discussed about the tournament that everybody was eagerly waiting for since the beginning of the year.

"This year we will be going against Bloomfield St. and if we win this match, then we will be competing for the finals." A cheer broke through the crowd.

"Calm down, boys. Just by cheering, we cannot win. You need to work hard and put your best in it. So without further ado, start practicing!" The coach yelled at us, bringing about a complete silence. We all separated from around him.

Dylan and Archer started splitting our team into two and were captains themselves.

"You go first." Archer said.

"Jacob." Dylan replied, calling my name and smirked at Archer. I stood behind Dylan.

"Luke." Archer's eyes fell on mine and then he suddenly grinned. Luke joined him and gave him a pat on the back and hooted.

"Grayson." Grayson, a muscular giant joined our team.

"Ted." A few more names were taken by Archer and Dylan.

The teams were divided pretty fairly, but I was sure that I was going to lose.

Dylan huddled us together and shot commands at us. All I heard was that I had to defend.

As I lightly ran near the goal post, my mind thought of all the things that had happened in the past week. It has been almost a week since Blake's accident and still, there has been no sign of him waking up. Although, his wounds are healing up gradually but just by looking at his pale face and dry lips breaks my heart into a million pieces.

I visited him everyday, spending as much time as I could. Even though her mother was always by his side, I was concerned. His father had recovered and was back to his feet again and sometimes, I got the opportunity to greet him in the hospital.

"Jacob! Jacob!" I heard someone faintly saying.

"What the hell are you doing? You could have easily taken the ball from him!" I heard Dylan scold me. I had zoned out in the middle of a game. This was really unlikely of me. Shaking out of my dazed form, I apologized and looked around to see that Archer had already hit a goal.

His team cheered but his eyes fell on mine. Our gazes locked with each other's. Tearing my eyes away, I ran back to a suitable position.

The ball was being tackled by Grayson and Luke tried to take it away from him. Dylan stopped him, safely taking the ball with him but suddenly Archer had the ball.

I somehow knew that it was just the perfect time for me to swoop in. I was no match against Archer but it would hurt more if I didn't try at all.

I started running next to him, attempting to steal the ball, but it seemed impossible. As I disappointedly ran next to him, his face suddenly turned towards me and he looked at me. Feeling nervous, I looked away but felt Archer slow down in front of me. He left the ball idle and looked down at me. This little incident might seem unnoticeable to everyone else but it did not escape my eyes.

I kicked the ball and ran. Kicking it hard, the ball swooped through the air and landed in the goal post. My team cheered my name and I was suddenly engulfed in a group hug.

"Great job, dude!" Dylan shouted and cheered.

"Yeah." All the guys simultaneously agreed.

As soon as we all separated, I tried to thank Archer but he was avoiding me.

The game continued and soon was coming to an end, making the whole situation tense. The next goal was done by Archer's team and they won.

They all cheered and patted Archer on the back as they passed and left the field as the coach said that the practices were over.

I waited for the field to clear up to talk to Archer but the coach came over.

"You did a great job, Jacob."

"Thank you, coach." He nodded and left.

I walked towards Archer who was heading back to the dorms.

"Archer! Wait!" He turned around.

"What is it?" He said, his voice full of venom.

"Um." He had not been so rude to me ever before. I was taken aback by his hostility but recovered quickly.

"Thank you."

"For what?" He said, agitated.

"For giving me the ball."

"I did not give you the ball, you took it yourself."

"No, you slowed down and gave it to me."

"No, I did not. You must be imagining things." He turned around and started walking in the other direction.

What is up with him?

* * *

"Why didn't you tell me before?!"

"I'm sorry mom, I promised not to tell." I lied.

"You brother was alone in New York and you hid it from me?!"

"I'm sorry mom, but how did you find out?"

"I got a call from that punky friend of his. He said that your brother broke his arm while performing at some weird fest or something. I really don't remember."

"What? Do you know when will he come back?"

"His friend said that he will come back next week but that's not the point, Olivia! You knew but you didn't tell me?" Oh no, I hope he doesn't come back before the tournament.

"Sorry, mother. Can I talk to you later? I have to do some homework now."

"No! Don't you dare hang up on me! I hav-" I ended the call and started writing a pending essay.

Minutes passed and I was halfway done, when the door swung open.

Archer entered the room with a bottle of liquor in his hand, unstable on his feet.

"Oh, look! It's Olivia's brother."

"Why are you drinking again, Archer?"

"Because I can."

I shut my eyes and put my head down slightly. I cannot deal with this right now.

"You wanna know why? Okay, I will tell you. I am drunk because your sister ditched me for another guy." What?

"I don't think she did that. She-"

"Of course you know what she did. You both share everything. I remember. So, let me tell you something about this guy she ditched me for." I waited for him to speak but he swung the bottle across the room and it shattered into a million pieces.

He fell back on his bed and closed his eyes.

I thought that he wasn't going to say anything about the guy I ostensibly ditched him for, which I supposed was Blake. But after a minute, he said something, something that turned my world upside down.

"He got my sister killed." And that's when I fell off my bed.