Chapter Thirty Four

I looked at the stars. They looked no longer soft like Tyler had promised me. They were now sharp white bullets piercing the sky.

I died my hair pink. I took a long shower. I threw out most of my clothes and I avoided Melanie and Ashley, all to forget.

There was one more thing I had to throw out, or in my case, burn.
Tyler's jumper that he left here on the night of the fire.
And suddenly, I can't.

I can't forget.

I slipped it on and pulled out Tyler's note, then held it onto my chest.
Nothing can describe the burning feeling when all you want to do is be with someone.
I managed to drive to the treehouse and I sat down next to where the letters
'T-E-R-R-I-F-I-E-D'  had been engraved.

I pulled out a pocket knife and decided to carve in my final thought.
"I-M-O-K-A-Y."

For someone to see years from now.
Maybe they'll believe it gets better.

But it doesn't.

It doesn't get better, and I'm not okay.

I know what Ashley meant when he said that your sadness gets heavier until it becomes numb.
No, no, no.

Nobody will see this years from now.
Because I'm going to finish what Tyler never managed. I'm going to destroy the treehouse.
Too many broken memories linked to this place.

And I'm going to put a stop to it. Nobody deserves to go through things like these.
I pulled out my lighter and without hesitation, I lit the crumbled treehouse.

I quickly jumped out of the treehouse and turned around.
And in the trees, I could've sworn that I saw a boy wearing all black with brown, fluffy hair staring right at me.

End.