Thirty Seven

Today was the big day.

It had been a whole month, it was finally time for the gemlings to hatch.

"I can't believe it, any moment now." Lapis grinned. Peridot smiled back, giving Lapis a kiss on the cheek. The blue gem shook her head and cupped Peridot's face in her hands.

Lapis brought Peridot's face close to hers, then separated the gap between them. Peridot felt her face heat up, kissing Lapis back. Lapis leaned more into the kiss, pulling away when she heard a crack.

Peridot opened her eyes, confused as to why Lapis pulled away. The blue gem was staring past Peridot. Curious, Peridot turned her head.

One of the geodes had a small crack in it. Lapis immediately rushed over, Peridot right behind her. "They're hatching!" The ocean gem exclaimed.

"Oh my stars." Peridot whispered, watching closely. The crack in the geode grew bigger. Lapis had a huge, goofy smile on her face.

Suddenly a very small version of Peridot popped out, making quiet noises.

The other geode then began to make the same cracking sound, and soon enough a small Lapis popped out

Lapis looked at Peridot, who was now smiling

Lapis looked at Peridot, who was now smiling. The blue gem gently took the smaller version of herself in her hands, smiling. "Bob." Lapis whispered.

Peridot hesitantly picked up the smaller version of herself, who began to make a whining noise. The green gem stared at the gemling, listening to the quiet whimpers. "Um.. hi Perry." Peridot said.

Lapis laughed at Peridot. "What?" The green gem asked, blushing. "Am I doing something wrong?" Peridot asked.

"No, but do you really expect Perry to answer you?" Lapis laughed. "Of course not." Peridot replied. Lapis smiled at the small gem, "It seemed like you did." She giggled.

"Well I didn't." Peridot said. Suddenly a loud noise came from Perry, startling Peridot.

 Suddenly a loud noise came from Perry, startling Peridot

"What's happening?!" Peridot exclaimed, looking at Lapis. "Here." Lapis said, taking Perry. "What's going on with her?" Peridot asked.

"She's just upset." Lapis replied, cuddling Perry close. "How do you know that?" Peridot asked. "She's crying." Lapis said.

"Oh.." Peridot said quietly. Lapis held both of the gemlings close, smiling. "Bob is asleep." The ocean gem said.

"Already?" Peridot asked. "Yeah, you wanna take her?" Lapis asked, raising her voice over the crying Perry. "Um.. sure." Peridot replied.

Lapis gently handed Bob over to Peridot, then turned her attention back to Perry. "What's the matter, little one?" Lapis cooed, planting a kiss on the gemling's cheek. Perry squirmed and cried some more.

"Aww, it's okay little Perry." Lapis said, allowing the gemling to rest her head on her shoulder. Lapis tenderly patted Perry's back. Peridot watched, cuddling Bob.

'She's so perfect, and she makes an even perfect caretaker.' Peridot thought, smiling.

"Shhh..." Lapis said. Perry's cries soon died down, soft snores coming from her. "Someone takes after you." Lapis winked at Peridot.

Peridot blushed, a tiny smile tugged at her lips. "Where do we put them?" The green gem then asked. "Hmm.. we can lay them on the mattress for now." Lapis replied.

They gently lay the gemlings on the mattress, Lapis laying next to them. Peridot stayed sitting up, looking at her little family.

"Lazuli." Peridot said. "Yeah?" Lapis asked, looking up at the green gem. "Look at you, you're already a great 'mother'." Peridot smiled.

"You are too." Lapis smiled, cuddling the gemlings close to her. "But I haven't done anything for them yet, just made Perry cry." Peridot replied. "That's not your fault, and you gave Bob a nice place to sleep." Lapis giggled.

"I guess you're right." Peridot said, looking at the blue gemling. "Lay down with us." Lapis said, pulling at Peridot's hand. "Okay." Peridot sighed.

Lapis hummed happily, hugging both of the gemlings close. Peridot scooted close, putting an arm over the gemlings and Lapis. "I love you Peridot." Lapis whispered.

"I love you too, Lazuli." Peridot grinned. The blue gem blushed, closing her eyes. Peridot watched Lapis and the gemlings, feeling a strange new feeling.

With a happy sigh, Peridot closed her eyes. A smile still lingered on her face. This was her life now.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Loud crying woke both Peridot and Lapis. "Mmm what now?" Peridot asked sleepily. The green gem rubbed her eyes with a yawn.

"It's just Perry." Lapis replied, scooping the crying gemling up. "Again?" Peridot asked. "I guess so." Lapis yawned.

Peridot then glanced at Bob, who was still asleep. "Well at least one of them is calm." The green gem said. "Yeah." Lapis chuckled.

Perry soon stopped crying, but she didn't go back to sleep. "I think she's okay, you can go back to bed." Lapis said. "Okay." Peridot yawned, closing her eyes.

Lapis held Perry for a while, sighing in relief once she heard tiny snores come from the gemling. Ever so gently, she lay Perry back down.

Lapis then lay down. She looked at Peridot, a small smile graced her lips. Her blue eyes then looked at the gemlings, making her smile grow bigger.

The ocean gem then closed her eyes, still smiling. To think of how far she and Peridot had come warmed her heart. Lapis soon fell asleep, her smile still there.

A/N: The gemlings are finally here yay! Anyways, I wanted to clear some stuff up about them. For one they don't cry like human babies, they cry like the 'Piiii!' Photo above. Also they make a variety of sounds too. So yeah, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!! Peace out!! <3