Eight

Lapis felt her heart skip a few beats. The four words Peridot had spoke repeated in her head. It was like a broken record.

'I love you too.'

Lapis shuddered. She had mixed emotions, she didn't know how to feel. The blue gem listened to Peridot's quiet snores, mind spinning.

It was strange hearing those words come from Peridot's mouth. Lapis almost never had expected to hear Peridot say anything like that. What had it meant?

Perhaps Peridot didn't realize what she was saying, or maybe she didn't mean it in that way. Lapis sighed and looked up at the ceiling. She was too scared to ask Peridot anything about it, but she didn't want to just leave it at this.

Lapis began to drown in her thoughts, leaving everything behind. Reality slipped away, and she was lost in her mind. What day was it, how long had she and Peridot been laying there?

Did Peridot mean what she said? Was this all a dream? It seemed like one..

What if Peridot was just talking in her sleep? What if Lapis was just imagining things? What is Peridot said it without really meaning it?

By now Lapis was far gone, endless questions filled her mind. A voice brought her back into reality. "Lazuli!"

Lapis gasped and jumped, sitting straight up. "Lazuli I've been trying to get your attention for half an hour!" Peridot said, sitting up. Lapis looked at Peridot, "Sorry."

"You were just staring at the ceiling all wide eyed. What was going on?" Peridot asked. 'Did she forget what she said to me?' Lapis asked herself, ignoring Peridot's question. Peridot stared at the blue gem impatiently.

"Oh uh... I um... I was just thinking that's all." Lapis replied. "About what? You seemed deep in thought." Peridot said, yawning. "A lot of things." Lapis lied.

"Like what things?" Peridot asked, smiling. "Just everything I guess.." Lapis mumbled. The blue gem looked at Peridot.

"So uh.. how did you sleep?" Lapis asked, trying to change the subject. "I slept well, why?" Peridot replied. "Just wondering." Lapis said quietly, trying to get Peridot to remember what she had said.

"So uh.. what were we talking about before you went to sleep? I'm sorry I just feel like it was important maybe?" Lapis said. "All I remember is you smelling my hair." Peridot said, "Which wasn't really important."

"Oh.." Lapis said softly. A small frown formed on her face, and she looked down. "Why, was there anything else?" Peridot asked, blushing.

"N-no... nothing else." Lapis lied. "Okay.." Peridot said quietly. The two gems looked around the room.

Peridot knew exactly what Lapis was talking about.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Peridot had been too afraid to be the one to mention it. She thought Lapis would've just said it, but she hadn't. Peridot remembered exactly what she had said.

'I love you.'

Lapis' voice ran through Peridot's mind. The green gem looked at the blue gem, who was looking away. Peridot felt her heated face, she knew she was blushing.

Lapis looked at Peridot, who's eyes were practically glued to her. "So... what do you wanna do?" The ocean gem asked, blushing. Peridot shrugged, "I don't know."

"Well you've gotta pick something." Lapis smiled. "No, I'll let you pick." Peridot said. "No way, I picked last time." Lapis chuckled.

"Well.. let's just stay up here then." Peridot said, grinning a small, goofy grin. "Okay." Lapis chuckled, smiling back. "Wanna watch Camp Pining Hearts? We can start season two!" Peridot exclaimed, jumping to her feet.

"Sure, season one was pretty cool I guess." Lapis grinned. Peridot hurriedly put the season two disc in and jumped on the couch next to Lapis. "Okay, remember what happened in season one?" The little gem asked.

"Yep." Lapis said, watching the TV. "Good." Peridot smiled, leaning back and watching the intro. Lapis stole a glance at Peridot then looked back at the TV.

Lapis felt a hand slide on top of hers. She looked down and smiled. The ocean gem intertwined her fingers with Peridot's.

Lapis noticed a light blush on Peridot's face. She didn't take her green eyes off the screen. Lapis watched, looking at Peridot every so often.

The smaller gem really was absorbed in the show. She looked funny to Lapis, with wide eyes and a small grin on her face. Peridot really did love this show.

Lapis giggled a little bit, smiling at Peridot. She looked down at their hands. The blue and green looked good together.

Lapis smiled and hummed. She leaned towards Peridot and kissed her cheek softly. Peridot jumped, her head snapping to Lapis.

"L-Lazuli!" The green gem exclaimed, a dark green blush spreading on her face. Lapis chuckled, "Yes?" Peridot groaned and covered her face.

Lapis wrapped her arms around Peridot and pulled her close. "Peeeri." Lapis sang. Peridot kept her face covered, she was embarrassed.

Lapis hugged Peridot tightly. "Sorry." She whispered. The blue gem then heard a soft chuckle come from Peridot.

"You apologize too much Lazuli."

Lapis looked at Peridot, confused. "What do you mean?" She asked. Peridot revealed her face, blush still lingering.

"I mean that whenever you do something you apologize about it." Peridot replied. Lapis stared, her mouth forming an 'o' shape. "But it's okay." Peridot smiled, hoping she hadn't hurt Lapis' feelings.

"Okay.. I'll try not to apologize as much." Lapis said. "No, no! Y- that's not what I meant. Just... nevermind." Peridot said quickly. "Okay." Lapis replied.

Peridot looked at their hands, then at Lapis. She too was looking at their hands. "Uh.. I think we should go downstairs. Steven might be coming today to see if we're alright after that storm." Peridot said.

Lapis shuddered at the memory of the storm. She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. "Alright." The blue gem finally answered.

The two gems climbed down the ladder. "Guys!" A voice called. "Aha, see? I was right." Peridot grinned.

Lapis rolled her blue eyes and smiled, "Steven!" She called, running to the young boy. Peridot walked after her.

"Are you two okay? The rain probably soaked you!" Steven said. "We're fine Steven, we went upstairs where it's dry." Lapis smiled, she wasn't going to include her breakdown. "Did Peridot show you Camp Pining Hearts?" Steven asked.

"I did." Peridot smiled. "It's alright." Lapis chuckled. "What season are you guys on?" Steven asked, looking at Peridot.

"Two." Peridot replied. Lapis grinned and nodded. "Getting closer to five!" Steven chuckled.

Peridot groaned, "Complete garbage!" She exclaimed. Lapis chuckled and watched the little gem go on about how horrible season five was. Steven agreed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

An hour went by when Steven decided to leave. "I wasn't supposed to stay this long, the gems said so. I better get going, see ya!" He smiled, jumping on Lion. "Bye!" Lapis called, smiling.

Peridot waved goodbye to Steven and looked up at Lapis. "Let's head back in." The green gem said. "Okay." Lapis smiled.

They walked into the barn hand in hand, the sun setting behind them.