Chapter 26-Black Tie Required

"Welcome," a man greets at the door. The Speaker was hosting a formal gathering at his manor in the country. Damian was asked to be head of security along with his Advent units and a couple of freelancers. He chats with a couple of the guest before excusing himself to speak with someone who had just walked through the door.

"Surprised to see you here Eliza," he said, approaching her then escorting her to the main area, "you've managed to elude Advent for some time. You don't even appear on the news with the rest of XCOM," he grabs two glasses of wine and hands one to her, "but I know you decided to follow in the family business."

"I see you and dad have the same rank now," Eliza gestures to the uniform he wore resembling somewhat to that of a Commander's formal wear complete with medals, "Commander of Advent," she raise her glass with a smile, "congratulations."

Damian raises his and they drink. "Is this your date tonight Commander," a beautiful woman with short hazel hair and wearing an elegant velvet dress approaches the pair with a smile.

"Actually this is my sister," Damian informs, stepping aside for the ladies to meet each other, "Eliza, this is Pauline Sing. The daughter of the Speaker."

"A pleasure," Eliza said with a small nod and a handshake, "forgive me for asking, but you don't seem..."

"Reptilian," Pauline finishes off and gives a posh laugh before looking back towards the Speaker mingling with some guest, "it's okay. The Speaker rescued me as a young child from XCOM. My parent both tragically didn't make it."

"Sorry to hear that," Eliza said sadly, trying to cover up a faint beeping sound, "excuse me. I need to use the restroom." Pauline gives a nod and points out the direction to the restroom.

"I should be going," Damian also said regretfully, "one of my patrols haven't checked in." Pauline understands and waves him off before joining the Speaker's side.

"The console should be in the room adjacent to the one you're in," Nexus said through Eliza's earpiece. She was in the bathroom changing out from her formal dress to something more comfortable and loading a pistol, "you know if the Commander finds out about this..."

"He won't," Eliza activates her visor allowing her to see the patrols units, "besides, this information could benefit us all." She exits the bathroom and sneaks pass the patrols to the other room, heading straight for the laptop.

The bushes rustle from behind him and he looks back. An Advent Trooper surveys the area the. turns to see Nexus up against a tree. "Mor Balaten," they call out and Nexus punches them, stumbling them back towards the edge of the cliff. He grabs them using his grappling hook before they could fall then punches them in the face again. The Trooper gets out of his grip and swings at him, missing as he constantly dodges. Nexus draws a pistol and fires, grabbing the corpse as it fell and laying it down gently.

"What was that," Eliza asked as Nexus repositions himself again, "or do I want to know?"

"Do you have the information," Nexus asked as he looks down his scope to see Eliza nod, "good. Firebrand, we're ready for extraction."

Eliza quickly changes back then heads for the front door, being stopped by Damian grabbing her arm along the way. "I can only protect you for so long," she looks to him as he said that, "don't do anything you'll regret."

"What you call protection," Eliza said and wiggles out of his grip, "I call lies." She leaves the manor and disappears into the night, leaving Damian standing by the door with a sigh.