Epilogue

Chailux's eyes slowly start to flutter open and he pushes himself up. His entire body hurts as he pushes himself into a sitting position on his bed. He sat in his old quarters in the XCOM HQ but it was cleaned up and most of his stuff from the Avenger was there. He pulls the blanket off of himself to find his torso covered in bandages. Strands of white hair could be seen out the corner of his eye and he gets up, painfully walking over to a mirror.

His hair was pure white and his eyes flashed between blue and brown every so often. A burn across his right cheek and a few new scars. He notices an odd feeling. As if a part of him were missing. A terminal comes to life and he slowly goes to approach it. "Good morning Commander," the familiar voice of the Avenger AI said, "you have been inactive for 14 days. Central is waiting for you in the Command Centre."

He slowly wakes, nodding at saluting personnel through the quickly repaired corridors of the XCOM base to the Command Centre. Personnel were working around the clock to get the place operational. "Try it now," a familiar voice yells out then the lights flicker on along with the Geoscope becoming stable, "good work people." Damian appears from behind some crates and smiles at the sight of the two. He wore old XCOM uniform but still carried a few remnants of his Advent past.

"Good to see you taking up the family business," Chailux jokes and Damian gives a grin, "where's your sister?"

"Eliza is at Haven 7. Helping refugees fleeing from Advent cities," Damian reports as he looks back to the globe, "the spokesman wishes to speak with you when you have the chance."

The Commander stands at the door to the briefing room where the lights were still flickered and the screen showed the XCOM emblem. "Commander," a voice from the shadows calls out and the Spokesman steps out, "on behalf of the people of Earth, we thank you for this victory."

"I didn't do it alone," Chailux said, standing straight with his hands behind his back, "XCOM isn't just one person."

"Of course Commander," the Spokesman acknowledges, "although, I am here for another reason." The massive screen flickers on with the profiles of various operatives including Moira Vahlen and John Bradford. "Most of our operatives have gone missing since the second assault on this base."

Chailux spend a while looking at the profile of Bradford then shakes his head. "John spent the last 20 year searching for me," he said under his breath, "it's time I returned the favour."

"I have assembled a team in the armoury," the Spokesman gestures to the door behind the Commander, "but remember. The aliens still have a foothold on Earth, regardless of Avatar Project's demise, it is up to XCOM to retake our planet."

The doors to the armour open and the Commander sees his team. A squad of elite soldiers and trusted friends. "Commander," he turns to see Nexus already geared up in his Viper Suit, "BigSky says the Skyranger is ready to fly on your word. Also, Shen and Tygan left you a surprise in your locker. The team will be in the hangar." Chailux opens his locker and smiles. It was the Icarus Armour he was working in before the assault on the alien base.

The team joke around while waiting for the Commander outside the Skyranger. They stand in attention as he walks through the doors. "Avatar maybe gone but Advent is still a threat," he begins to give a speech, "we are Earth's first and last line of defence against these invaders. From this day onwards, we fight to reclaim all of Earth. We fight for those who gave their lives to get us here. We fight so that future generations have a chance to live. Our job is dangerous. I cannot guarantee all of you will survive. With that said, your orders remain the same as when we began this fight 20 years ago: Survive. Adapt. Win. Who are we?"

"XCOM," his squad shouts in unison and the Commander nods. They all load up into the Skyranger as BigSky prepares for take off.

"Central this is BigSky," he radios in as the main engines start to warm up, "Strike-One is ready to deploy. Awaiting clearance for take-off."

"You have clearance BigSky," Damian radios back, leaning over the railing and plotting a course across the Geoscope, "be safe out there fellas."

"Copy that Central," BigSky calls out and the hangar doors open as the Skyranger ascends. The wings deploy and the engines send it flying off into the distance.