Chapter 38-This Is War

This song inspired me for this assault mission as you will soon read.

The crowd of people cheer around a stage as Advent troopers and Vipers patrol the perimeter. The band rises from the stage surround by smoke and begin to play.

A warning to the people,
The good (the XCOM symbol appears on screen) and the evil (the Advent logo appears on screen),
This is war.

Advent takes notice of this and begin to coverage on the stage. Meanwhile, technicians around the back try to stop it by are constantly blocked out from the system.

To the soldier, the civilian,
The martyr, the victim,
This is war.

The systems around the back burst and technician fall back. Within the crowd, several of them pull out weapons and fire on Advent.

It's the moment of truth, and the moment to lie,
The moment to live and the moment to die,
The moment to fight, the moment to fight
To fight, to fight, to fight!

From the stage rises multiple XCOM operatives ready to fight.

To the right, To the left
We will fight to the death!
To the edge of the earth
It's a brave new world
From the last to the first

The Skyranger flies over head and drops off Bradford, BigSky, and Exalt on top of the Advent Network Tower. They see multiple Advent troops already dead and head for the main control room. The Spokesman lay bleeding from his stomach with a broken mask covering his face. "What took you so long," he asked in a warped voice and they help him up, "everything is ready inside. Do you have the data files?" Exalt holds up a storage device and the Spokesman nods. "Get down," he yells as Advent reinforcements appear and fire on them.

Back at the concert, the band continues to play as most of the crowd had vanished and the XCOM operatives continued to push back Advent.

A warning to the prophet,
The liar, the honest,
This is war.

Advent Sectopods rise up around them and XCOM slowly backs up as their laser cannons begin to charge up.

To the leader, the pariah,
The victor, the messiah,
This is war.

They fire beams and the operative brace themselves to find a shield around them. Rose and the Commander's mother stood in front of everyone with their arms stretched out, forming a psionic barrier around them.

It's the moment of truth, and the moment to lie,
The moment to live and the moment to die,
The moment to fight, the moment to fight,
To fight, to fight, to fight!

The team shoot out the windows to the waves of Advent closing on them as the Spokesman prepares the broadcast. "Hold them off for a little longer," he yells then a shot hits the console, "Bradford." Bradford turns to him after pulling his axe out of a Sectoid, "get to that console! Broadcast the signal!"

Bradford sees the console the Spokesman was talking about and climbs up. The Sectoid he though he killed still had some life in it and fired, gracing his arm. BigSky turns at the suddenly screen then taps on his arm. His muscles bulge out and he lets out a roar, charging the Sectoid. Bradford takes a quick look at his arm before struggling to climb the rest of the way. He inputs the last strings of code then the signal is sent, rendering all the Advent forces within it's radius inert.

I do believe in the light
Raise your hands into the sky
The fight is done, the war is won
Lift your hands toward the sun
Toward the sun
Toward the sun
Toward the sun
The war is won

The Sectopods suddenly stand down and the Speaker began to make his address. Behind him, the screen showed the truth about what the aliens were really doing without the Speaker's knowledge.

When he realises what was going on, he turns to the crowd to see them getting angry. Damian rushes on stage and escorts him off towards an awaiting transport where Pauline also waited. "Get us airborne," he yells to the pilot and the transport takes off quickly. Damian suddenly gets a headache but it soon passes.

A message from the Elders comes through and the three look to the screen. "It would appear XCOM has succeeded," they say very displeased, "head to the nearest gate. Rejoin us here."