Chapter 28-The Enemy of my Enemy

Damian looks down at the rubble of an Elder's statue and shakes his head. He turns to an Advent Captain along with some troopers. "Search the area," he commands as they nod and march off.

"Hard at work," a voice asked from behind and Damian turns to see Pauline waiting by a car with an open door. Damian gives a small chuckle and joins her as the driver takes them down the street, "how's it feel to be the Commander of Advent? Fighting XCOM on the front lines."

"I was doing that even before the promotion," Damian said as he stares out the window, "and we're fighting off more than just XCOM these days."

Smoke covers the road ahead and two grenades are thrown through the sunroof. Smoke engulfs the inside as Damian coughs and waves for the smoke to dissipate. He falls out of the car with a pistol in hand and looks back in. Pauline was gone and he felt his heart skip a beat. "Damian," he hears her scream and turns to see someone drag her into an alleyway and chases after them.

The alley comes to a dead end and the kidnapper turns to see Damian pointing his pistol to them. "Nowhere left to run," Damian announces as the kidnapper pulls a knife to Pauline's neck. They tap something on their arm and slowly backs up into the way.

Both the kidnapper and Pauline vanish through the wall as Damian desperately shoots at them. He runs up to the wall and bashes hard against it, furiously trying to figure out how they did it. "This is the Commander," Damian radios as he runs back down the street, "Miss Sing has been abducted. All units be on the look out."

A console beeps aboard the Avenger and the operator turns to the Commander and Bradford. "Sir," they call out, both turning towards them, "I've got a transmission on a secure line. It's not the Spokesman however."

"Put it through," Chailux calls out and they both turn to the main screen. To their surprise it was Damian. "What is it you want and how the hell did you get this frequency?"

"Eliza gave it to me on the grounds that she would stay out of Advent's wanted list," Damian said as he looks around quickly, "I don't have much time to speak but I need your help. Some gunman abducted Pauline Sing several hours ago and vanished."

"Anna's daughter," Bradford whispers to Chailux, "how did she get mixed up in this?"

Chailux just shrugs then turns his attention to Damian. "We know nothing about this," Chailux responds, "no resistance outpost has reported such a thing."

"That's because XCOM nor the Resistance are the only one's fighting Advent," Damian said then heard shouting of Advent Troopers, "meet at this coordinates at exactly 0800 hours. Alone." The transmission ends and both Bradford and Chailux turn to each other.

"It's obviously a trap," Bradford said as the two make their way down to the bar, "there is no way the Commander of Advent would contact us and expect us to meet on his terms."

"I know my son," Chailux said as they arrive outside the door to the bar, "he sounded genuinely in trouble. I'm going and I need you to hold down the fort until I get back."

"What should I tell Rose," Bradford asked as the Commander started to leave.

"Don't," the doors close behind him as he makes his way to the hanger where BigSky and Firebrand were having a conversation. "BigSky," he interrupts them, "prep the Skyranger. I'm heading out."