Chapter 29-Father and Son

BigSky drops the Commander on the outskirts of New Province where Damian was suppose to meet them. "You sure about this Commander," BigSky asked and he got a nod in response. He shrugs and takes the Skyranger back to base.

At exactly 0800 hours, Damian showed up unarmed and wearing his uniform. "I didn't think you would come," Damian said, keeping vigilant of his surroundings, "put these on." He hands Chailux a set of Advent armour before turning away. Damian turns back around after he was done. "You look like a Captain, nobody will question you," Chailux locks the helmet on and a visor appears across his eyes.

They walk into the main city where the patrols were more frequent. Children often stop to greet the Vipers and Mutons. Some are even amazed but the Berserker. "Advent sure know their propaganda," Chailux whispers they they enter an Advent building.

"Everyone out," Damian calls and the staff is quick to leave. He pulls up a chair and starts to search through a terminal. "XCOM and the Resistance Groups aren't the only ones fighting us," Damian informs as he transfers a familiar logo onto the main screen, "they're a group of alien/human sympathisers wanting what they call the 'old way' back."

"Exalt lives," Chailux asked as Damian have a shrug, "how is that possible?"

"Neo Exalt is different to the ones you fought back in 2015," Damian explains as more images of known Exalt operatives videos of raids play, "they seem to attack both of our sites. They have also enlisted the help of Advent defectors or rejects. But this is our guy," the screen clears showing a man with a skull bandana and a cut across his left eye, "we're calling him Gunman and I believe you've already met him."

"The guy that shot Nexus," Chailux said as he removes the helmet, "where is he?"

"I don't know," Damian shuts off the terminal and turns to him, "one minute he's here, the next he's somewhere else. One thing is for certain. He's toying with us. Kidnapping Pauline, attempting to kill one of your operatives. This guy wants us to find him."

"He isn't making it easy," Chailux crosses his arms as he shakes his head. Footsteps could be heard outside and he quickly pulls on the helmet.

The Speaker walks in with Muton bodyguards as the two cross their arm across their chest in a salute. "Where is Pauline," the Speaker demanded as he motions for his bodyguards to wait outside, "I asked you to take care of her. Where the hell is she?"

"She was taken sir," Damian reports and the Speaker shakes his head in disapproval, "I will not rest until she is safely returned to your side."

"You better hope so," the Speaker said as he towers of Damian, "because if anything happens to her, it is on your head." Chailux steps in between and looks the Speaker in the eyes. The Speaker mutters under his breath and looks pass him. "Keep your Officer's under control." He turns to leave with the Muton bodyguards no far behind.

"You didn't have to do that," Damian said as he falls back into his chair, "I know the Speaker." Gorva appears in a flash nearby, reminding him of his current task, "I don't need you to fight my battles."