Chapter 32-Vanguard

"We're here," Damian calls out, waking Chailux from his sleep. The two step out in the middle of a forest full of abandoned cars and twisted metal. "They should be here," Damian mutters and Chailux looks at him in confusion,

Before they could react, pillars sprout out of the ground around them and create a barrier. Several masked figures appear around them in salvaged Advent armour. One of them sends out a drone similar to the ones use during the initial invasion which scans the two. "Go get the Vanguard," he said in a static voice as the drone returns to him, "he would want to see them." Two others rush off into the forest leaving several others and their leader with them. "Why did you come here?"

"We were bound to track you down," Damian said calmly, keeping his eyes on the leader, "you fight against XCOM."

"XCOM," the leader remarks with a laugh, "XCOM fell nearly 20 years ago. And the resistance kicked us out for radical behaviour. We are the true saviours of humanity. We are what Exalt should have been."

"Calm down DuelMaster," another static voice calls out and they see another man drop down from the trees. The all too familiar revolver at his hip and the Exalt symbol clearly shown on his armour. "Move these prisoners to the compound. The Boss wants to question them personally."

The two are escorted, separated, then thrown into holding cells. Several hours later and one of them takes Chailux out to an office in the back where the mysterious gunman waited for him. "Long time Commander," his voice no longer static as he removes his helmet, "you still owe Vanguard Squad a drink."

"Ranon," Chailux asked a bit shocked and the gunman lowers his head with a laugh, "what the hell are you doing here?"

"The same as many here," he turns around and Chailux could see the burns and scars across the lower half of his face, "none of the resistance cells would take us in and only rumours of XCOM float around. We do what need to be done to survive." He looks down, flipping a medallion in his hand. "The Boss is tough on everyone here. She'll be here soon so I suggest you play along just a little longer."

Ranon quickly puts on his mask leaving Chailux confused. The doors open behind him and a woman enters. She wears a mismatch of XCOM and Advent armour with a chain of bullets around her waist. "Hola Commander," she said and he recognises the voice, "long time no see."

A little update. Since the release of Long War 2, I'll be busy doing that. Just be grateful I decided to upload okay. (Sorry if that sounded mean)