confined

Maine collapsed on a weekend and almost overnight, people saw a change in Rj's behaviour on-cam. He was quiet, distant. Eversince he met and dated Maine, he became bubbly and energetic. But now, he seemed aloof and serious – pretty much how he was before the phenomenon exploded.

"Sorry po....Sirs, pwede po bang mag-leave ako ng 1 week? May aasikasuhin at aayusin lang ako...." He asked his management.

He had never asked for a leave before. In his years in the business, he would come to work everyday even when he was obviously sick or not feeling well. He pushed himself that hard.

"Okay...kahit 1 month pa....you need a well-deserved break, Jay......." they allowed him.

He spent his days at the door of Maine's hospital room for the chance to at least peep inside since he wasn't allowed entry. When he did get a glimpse of her inside, all he saw was the sheet used as her blanket and tubes from the IV above. He wanted to rush in and hug her and beg her forgiveness. He wanted to spend time with her.

In his desire to see her, his body, too, gave up.

"Anak....gising na....sasamahan mo daw si Lola sa....." Daddy Richard came into Rj's room to wake him up. But instead of waking him, Daddy saw that Rj was shivering under his comforter. He had a temperature and was having chills.

Daddy Rich immediately sought the help of Rj's Lolo's caregiver and together, they worked on bringing Rj's temperature down. He was okay and not feeling chills for a few hours but his temperature shot up again and he started vomiting. Daddy Rich decided to bring Rj to hospital and he was admitted.

As fate would have it, his room was right next to Maine's. Daddy Rich and Nanay Maryann saw each other as both stepped out of their children's rooms at the same time one afternoon.

"O, Rich...sinong....?"

"...si Rj....ang taas ng lagnat kagabi...."

"...si Menggay din....may low-grade fever pa rin....2 days na...."

"Bakit daw? Anong sabi ng duktor?"

"Over-fatigued daw....saka may virus daw na nahawaan sya..... Di naman kasi sanay si Menggay sa dami ng trabaho at projects nya..."

"Haay....etong mga anak natin....sobra talaga ang pagka-dedicated sa trabaho nila..."

"Sinabi mo pa...."

Maine was obviously getting bored with her situation of having no visitors. On the first day after her confinement, she slept most of the time so she really did not notice how time seemed to slow down. However, on the second day, cabin fever was starting to set in and she was getting restless. By late afternoon, she was constantly complaining to Coleen how bored she was.

"....bigay mo na yung phone ko, please!!" she whined.

"...bakit?"

"Anong bakit? Girl...bored na bored na ako....lahat na ata napagkwentuhan na natin....sawang-sawa na ak sa boses at mukha mo!"

"Ay! Pasensya ka.....you're stuck with me!"

"Ayaw!"

Just then, they heard what seemed to be like a group of people rushing outside the door.

"...sandali lang, check ko lang" Coleen said as she stood up and walked to the door.

Coleen poked her head out of the door first then eventually went out and closed the door behind her. Maine could only look up at the ceiling or outside the window. She could sit up but wasn't allowed to leave her bed.

After what seemed like forever, Coleen came back into the room just as a nurse came in to give Maine her medicines and check on her.

She noticed that Coleen seemed to be fidgeting and kept on looking at the door.

"....girl, anong problema mo?"

"Huh?...ahh...ehh...."

"...Ma'am Coleen...." the nurse spoke. Coleen looked at the nurse and nodded.

"Sige po, Ms. Maine...balik po ako mamaya..."

"Thank you..."

"O girl...anong nangyayari sa labas?" Maine asked again as the nurse left the room.

"Uhmm...girl....kasi....si R....si Alden...si....Rj......"

"Anong si Rj?"