Rj's day

Today was like any other day at the Faulkerson household. They had a little party with friends as a "salubong" to Rj's birthday. They did this yearly because it was tradition also on Rj's noontime show that he had a "grander" celebration on the show.

Maine greeted him with their usual "good morning labing-labing" while they prepared for the day. The kids were already at the breakfast table when the couple joined them.

"Happy birthday Daddy!" the kids greeted as Rj sat at his place on the dining table. Each child stood up from their seat and gave Rj a hug and a kiss.

"...I'll give my gift later....I don't have a wrapper pa e...." Eena said as she sat back down.

"I have a card..." Charm squealed then covered her mouth as if she spilled a surprise. Everyone giggled.

"Wala akong gift sa yo...." Maine bowed her head.

"...okay lang....kahit no gifts.....you guys are my gifts na...." Rj beamed at his family.

After breakfast, the kids were brought to school while the couple went off to work. Rj celebrated his birthday on the show like always and had a lot of well-wishers and cake. He shared the cakes with the fans and the people of the show.

"Love....can you please come home earlier? The kids' school called me and asked that Eena be picked up because she's sick daw...I had Yaya get her...I'm in the middle of a meeting and I have to run some errands..." Maine's message.

Rj read the message and checked his schedule for the day. The bosses had given him the afternoon off since it was his birthday. He was grateful for this little gesture and thanked his bosses before leaving the studios.

"Uwi na tayo" he said to his driver as he got into the car.

Traffic was a bit heavy so he dozed off while in transit. When he woke up, he noticed that they were already inside their village but the driver was taking a different route.

"Bakit dito tayo dumaan?" Rj asked.

"...ah....may ginagawa daw dun sa kabilang kalye malapit sa atin..."

"Ah ok...." Rj leaned back on his seat and looked out the window. He rarely went around this side of his village and noticed how green and peaceful the surroundings were. He often heard his kids talking about playing in the empty lots nearby.

When Rj got home, he found Eena sleeping on the sofa in the living room. He approached and sat beside her, gently patting her shoulder and brushing off her hair from her face.

"Eena.....Cessy.....how are you feeling?" he said gently.

"....daddy...." Eena sat up and hugged him. "....I made suka in school....." Eena spoke with her face buried on Rj's shoulder.

"....did you suka again? How are you feeling now?"

Eena shook her head, "no". "....just sleepy.....after I made suka, I felt better na...."

"Okay....let's get you to your room first so you can change out of your uniform....where are the others?"

"Still in school.....Kuya Ray and Yaya Virgie picked me up earlier.....I think they went back for sina Iggy...."

"Okay....can you walk?"

Eena, who still had her arms around Rj's neck, just sighed so Rj picked her up and cradled her in his arms and brought her to the girls' room. He called on Suzette, the younger helper, to help Eena change.

"Bigyan mo sya ng warm water na maiinom after.....magbibihis lang ako..."

"Opo sir..." Suzette said as they entered the room and Rj set Eena down on her bed.

"Change your clothes first....I'll be back...." he told Eena as he kissed her on the temple.

Rj changed into house clothes and peeped into the girls' room. He saw that Eena was in bed with her back toward the door so he didn't bother her anymore and just gently closed the door and went downstairs.

Rj thought that he had heard his kids arrive so he peeped into the kitchen to see if they were there having merienda. No one was in the kitchen. He saw the household staff going about their usual activities outside so he just called out for some juice.

"Opo sir..." Pina answered.

Rj sat in his favorite chair and watched some TV. Maine often teased him for being "masa...MASAndal lang, tulog" and true enough, he hadn't seen much of the program on tv when he fell asleep. Pina just put the glass of juice on the table beside him and left.

The dinner bell rang and Rj awoke from his "nap". He went to the toilet then to the dining room. The kids were already there waiting, even Eena. Her hair was a bit messy from lying in bed but she looked much better than when Rj saw her earlier.

"How are you feeling, ate?" Rj asked as he held her hand which was on the table.

"Much better, dad..." Eena smiled.

"Where's mom?" he asked.

"....ahh pauwi na daw...kakatawag lang....ma-traffic e" Yaya Virgie explained as she poured water for the family.

The family said grace. It was Charm's turn.

"Papa Jesus....thank you for the food we have....thank you for the yayas who prepared it.....thank you for the farmers...please bless Daddy, Mommy, Ate, Kuya, RT, me and our yayas and kuyas...AMEN"

"Amen" everyone collectively replied.

Dinner happened but Maine had not arrived. "Iwanan nyo nalang ng food si Maine..." Rj told Yaya Virgie as the helpers cleared the table and the family retreated to the den to watch some TV. Suddenly, the lights went off.

"Brownout!" RT announced.

Charm cuddled up close to Rj while the others stood up and went out of the den. Before Rj's eyes could really adjust to the dimness, a glow appeared from the door.

Maine was holding a birthday cake with candles lit and Eena and Iggy carrying balloons right behind her. RT had a small paper bag and squeezed his way between the doorway and Iggy.

They sang Rj a happy birthday, much to his surprise.

"Daddy's crying!" Charm said as she wiped Rj's tears with her hands then cupped his face and kissed his cheek. "Happy birthday! I love you!" she said before springing off the sofa and out the room.

His family had planned a little suprise party for him all along. Eena's illness just coincided with the planned events but she was all better now.

"This is the best birthday ever!" Rj announced as he hugged his family.

"Happy birthday, Rj!" Maine said as she gave Rj a smack on the lips.

"I love you!"

"I love you!"

"Eeeewwww! Can you guys not do that here!" Eena exclaimed as she turned on the lights.

Everyone laughed.