visit

They drive quietly for some time.

"Where are we going?" Maine asks, looking at Rj.

"....malapit na...." he replies.

They enter a large gated driveway and drive a few meters away from it. Rj parks the car under the shade and walks to Maine's side to open her door.

Hand in hand, they walk to the top of a hill, underneath a bigger tree, overlooking the city. He smiles at Maine then lets go of her hand and walks forward, a little ways from her.

".....Mom....Hi! I brought Maine with me today.....we have great news......"

Maine walks quietly behind him. He senses her and gently puts his arm around her waist.

"Mom....this is Maine.....my wife.....you're going to be a lola, Mom......."

"...Hello po...." Maine says quietly, smiling down.

Rj kneels to sit down on the grass and Maine follows.

"...yes, Mom....we're having.......twins.....exciting no?.....I wish you could be here Mom....para makita at maalagaan mo din sila....I miss you, Mom...." Rj bows his head and breaks down, sobbing softly.

Maine instinctively rubs his back to comfort him and he embraces her, burying his face into her shoulder. She lets him sob and cry.

Rj breaks his embrace but holds on to Maine's hand.

"Mom....please....please.....watch over us......watch over Maine.....and the babies....."

"I'm sure your mom knows...." Maine says quietly as she holds Rj's face in her hands. She kisses him on the forehead and hugs him again.

"Do you always go here....I mean, do you always visit Tita?"

"Mommy...."

"M...Mom....my...."

He nods. They sit quietly by the tombstone, enveloped by the quietness of the area. Maine is leaning against Rj as he embraces her. He stares blankly at the lovely flowers and lit candles.

"I spend a lot of time here....especially when things get really tough.....that's why I also don't answer your calls or texts immediately....sometimes....."

"Ahh....sorry....."

"Don't be.....I like to go here because its quiet....peaceful.....I find peace here....."

"Well....Ti.....Mommy is sure to be watching over you.....us.....always.....she seemed to be a nice lady...."

"She was....she had the same smile as you....."

Maine looked up and smiled at Rj. He kissed her on the lips.

"Inalagaan nya talaga kami....sila ni Dad....I think they've sacrificed a whole lot for us....I remember having to transfer to different schools and homes because they were struggling to pay for rent and stuff....pero never kaming pinahinto ng school....When she passed away, I vowed na yun din ang gagawin ko sa future family ko....I will take care of them and make sure that they are well provided...." Rj says and gives Maine a long, hard kiss on her temple.

"....and you've shown her.....she knows, love.....she knows....."

A long while later, they move to stand up.

"....Tita...." Rj looks at Maine. "....I mean....Mommy....we'll visit again....I'll visit again....."

"Yes we will....."

Maine moves to take a step to begin walking to the car when Rj pulls her back for a hug. They hug tightly and they feel a cool breeze envelope them and "hug" them, too.