surgery

"Maine...may konting sinat ka pa rin pero nag-r-request sina Richard na kung pwedeng kausapin mo daw si Rj..."

"...kausapin?"

"Na-stress na nga kasi na-ospital....mas lalong na-stress nung nalaman na kailangan nyang ma-operahan sa tonsils..." Nanay Maryann explained.

"....."

"Sige na anak...nahihirapan na rin sina Richard na kausapin si Rj e....at pag di nawala yung lagnat nya sa lalong madaling panahon, mas matatagalan pa bago sya ma-operahan...."

Maine looked out the window and dropped her shoulders as she sighed.

Maine gently knocked at Rj's door.

"...pasok...." Daddy Rich called out

Maine let herself in and gave Daddy Rich a kiss on the cheek.

"Kamusta ka na, anak?"

"Okay naman po....kaka-blood test ko lang po ulit kanina....kung okay yung results, uuwi na ata ako bukas or the next day...."

"...ahh...good...good...."

"...kamusta po si Rj?...."

"....ayan, medyo sinisinat pa....salamat at okay ka na....salamat din at bumisita ka.....alam mo naman...."

"Opo....sinabi na po sa akin ni Nanay....sinabi na kasi dati nito sa akin na ayaw nya sa hospital....na-trauma dahil sa Mommy nya...." Maine said as she sat beside Rj and stroked his head.

"...Oo....alam ko....buti na nga lang at magaling yung naglagay nung swero sa kanya.....tense na tense e.....kung wala ako dun, siguradong sinuntok nya na yung mga nurse....uhmm...pwede ba kitang iwan dito sandali?...."

"...ahh sige po....okay po...."

"...tawagin mo nalang si April or yung nurse kung kailangan...."

"...sige po....thank you po, Tito...."

Rj slowly opened his eyes and saw Maine looking at him while gently running her fingers through his hair.

"Hi, Babe....how are you feeling?"

"....okay lang....sorry......" Rj's eyes were puffy -- a result of too much sleep and crying.

"....sorry din....I've been stubborn also...."

They nodded at each other; Maine gave Rj a peck on the lips.

"Grabe!....natakot ako nung nalaman kong nag-collapse ka.....sabi ko na na hindi mo kaya e...."

"Natakot din ako.....I thought na kaya ko.....ayoko na mangyari ulit yun...."

"I also asked na ayusin na yung schedule ko....ayoko dito....ayoko...." tears started welling in Rj's eyes.

"I know, Love, I know....pero Babe, they asked me to tell you....."

"....what?"

"....kasi....you need...."

"Ano?"

"You need to have a tonsilectomy...."

"......" Rj looked away as his tears rolled down his face.

"I know you're nervous and all....but Love, you need to have it done na....or else, lagi ka nalang magkakasakit.....I'll be here naman when they prep you and you get back....promise...."

"....promise?" Rj looked tearfully at Maine and took her hand and squeezed it tight.

She nodded and kissed him on the head then on his lips.

Maine was discharged from hospital after 2 days but was not allowed to go back to work (and definitely not at the baranggay) for another week. Rj's fever was gone on the day Maine was discharged. Upon her family's request and doctor's orders, she could only spend a few hours at the hospital to be with Rj.

He was scheduled for his tonsillectomy 2 days after Maine was fully recovered. She arrived early on the day of his surgery. His hands were cold and he was shaking and holding on to Maine for support.

"....relax Love, I won't leave you....I promise to be here when you come back...." she assured him as he was wheeled into the operating room.

It was a short procedure but it took Rj a while to wake up. His eyes immediately searched for Maine when he gained consciousness several hours later.

Maine never left his side that day until she had to go home.

"I promise to be back tomorrow....rest na....I love you...." she said as she kissed him goodbye.

He smiled and hugged her, his throat still sore from the operation.