fairy tale

"....and they lived happily ever after.....Okay, good night, kids!" Maine closed the book she read to her kids at bedtime.

"Mom, what was it like when you got married to Daddy?" Eena asked as Maine tucked her in bed. Maine sat at her daughter's bedside and soon the other kids, Iggy, RT and Charmaine climbed up on Eena's bed as Eena sat up.

"Was it like in the story?" RT asked.

"...like Cinderella?" Charm piped in.

"Mom....didn't you dress up like Cinderella before?" Iggy asked.

"Yes...I did...but Daddy and I didn't get to meet then...I had to run...." Maine started. She looked dreamily far away.

"....and I found her shoe!" Rj had entered the bedroom and joined his family on Eena's bed.

"What happened?" Eena asked.

"Well....like all fairy tales, Mommy and I didn't meet right away....I had to go through some challenges....tests...."

"Tests? Like in school?" RT asked.

"...not exactly....I had to prove that I really loved Mommy...." Rj chuckled.

"But you do....you do love, Mommy" Charm hugged Rj.

"Of course! I love Mommy and you and Ate and Kuya and RT!" All the kids looked at Rj and smiled.

"Then what happened? How did you finally meet?" Eena was curious.

"Hmm....after all those challenges, Mamu, Papu and Papa agreed that it was time for us to meet so they had a dinner set-up for us....then there was a big, big party...."

"Party?" Iggy asked.

"Yes...a party...I was in a princess gown and Daddy was my prince...." Maine explained.

"Wow! I'm sure you were very pretty, Mom..." Iggy continued.

"Very pretty...." Rj confirmed. "....and so, Mommy became my girlfriend and we enjoyed each others' company...."

"Did you go on a date?" RT asked.

"Always!" Rj smiled.

"Where? What did you do?" Eena asked.

"Uhmm....Mommy liked isaw a lot..." Rj began.

"Eeewww...." the kids said in chorus; obviously none of them really liked this food.

"...we went on isaw dates...." Rj continued, laughing.

"Not all the time....Daddy also took me out to special dates...." Maine giggled and looked at Rj.

"Of course....I also took Mommy to our favourite places like...."

"Sofitel!" RT squealed.

"Yes" Maine giggled some more.

"You didn't get married right away?" Eena was more curious.

"No....not right away...."

"Why?"

Hmm....we had work in Italy....one evening, while strolling around the piazza by the lake...."

"Pizza?" Charm eyes grew big.

"Not pizza....piazza.....park in Italian...right Mom?" Eena explained. Maine nodded.

"Ahh..." Charm replied.

"....we stopped to rest for a while and looked out into the lake....I was looking at the water and the view....when I turned to say something to Daddy....he was kneeling down on one knee and he had a small box..."

Eena was now covering half her face with her pillow but her eyes were twinkling in the soft glow of the bedside lamp. Yayas Cherry and Anna, who had come into the room to help prepare the kids for bed we in one corner clutching each other, listening intently to the story.

"....and Daddy was crying...." Iggy said.

They all laughed. They knew how emotional Rj was.

"Yes...he was crying....I cried too...."

"Then?....then? What happened?" Charm was impatient.

"When we got back to Manila, we started preparing for the wedding....."

"Mom was the most beautiful bride....like a princess...." Rj interrupted. "I really couldn't see her when the doors of the church were opened....the lights from outside were very bright....but I knew....I knew Mommy was just beautiful....."

"And you were crying...." Iggy pressed.

They all laughed again.

"When does Daddy not cry?" Eena teased.

".....yes....I was....but it was because Mommy was so beautiful and I was very, very happy!" Rj looked dreamily at Maine.

"....even from the door, I could see Daddy crying...and I knew how red his ears were!" Maine chuckled.

"...and then....and then?" Charm pressed for more.

"....I was very nervous walking down the aisle. Mamu and Papu walked me down the aisle....they were also crying....I was crying...."

"...everyone was crying? Why were you sad?" Charm asked.

"...we were not sad, Love....just very very happy..." Maine continued.

"Ahh...." Charm nodded.

"...even Papa was wiping his face..." Rj said, referring to his Dad.

"....pati ata po mga bisita naiyak?" Yaya Cherry, who had been listening to the story for a while, and knew of it already, was now teary-eyed but smiling.

"Ahh...oo....napanood ko sa video yun....maraming nagpupunas ng luha...." Yaya Anna shared.

Maine and Rj smiled at the yayas while the kids looked on.

"...yes....I think everyone or a lot of people were crying...Tita Ninang Niki, Coleen and Riza...." Rj said.

"...even Tito Ninong Dean and Nico....I think even Tita Ate Angel...." Maine continued.

"And then....what happened pa?" Charm asked.

"....I hugged Mommy tightly when she got to the front....we were both shaking...."

"Was it cold?" RT asked.

"...No, Baby....I guess we were both nervous also....it happens when you feel very excited about something...."

RT smiled and nodded.

".....the priest blessed us....and we were married.....I married my princess...." Rj said softly and then leaned in and kissed Maine on the forehead. Both Maine and Rj were now teary-eyed. Eena was also teary-eyed and was clutching her pillow tightly. The little family hugged each other and both parents kissed their kids.

The kids were tucked into their beds after their prayers then Maine and Rj went to their bedroom to retire. Because the kids' bedroom door was slightly open, Maine and Rj could still hear the kids talking as they lay down on their bed.

"....I wish I get married like Mommy and Daddy...." Eena said.

"I want to be a princess..." Charm squeaked.

"....go to sleep!" RT scolded.

"....you don't have a boyfriend!" Iggy said to Eena.

"...I'll get one...."

"How? When?"

"Tomorrow....I'll make sama when Yaya goes to the palengke...."