Charm

"...Rj....it's your turn to wake up!" Maine nudged Rj sleepily.

"....." Rj groaned.

"....I just fed her so she's probably wet..."

Rj reluctantly stood up and walked over to the co-sleeper on Maine's side and checked on the crying infant.

"...Charm....love....shhh....shhhhh...." Rj repeatedly talked to the baby as he changed her wet diaper. After a few minutes, he picked her up and carried her around until she stopped crying. However, when he tried to put her down on her cot, she would whimper and cry again. Rj ended up sitting on the rocking chair at the corner of the room with Little Charmaine in his arms. He's had practice with the other babies so even if he fell asleep, Charm was secure. In fact, his chest was his kids' "safe place". All of them grew up sleeping on him as infants. On some occasions, he would still find now 8-year old Eena or Iggy on top of him, sleeping soundly.

Charmaine Rosary was born a year and half after RT. And like RT, her Kuya Iggy and Ate Eena doted over her like anything, especially Eena. Being more "mature" and "grown up" now, she took responsibility of taking care of the baby when she was home. She eagerly learned how to change diapers, carry and feed the infant. In fact, she knew if the baby was wet or just wanted a cuddle by its cry.

It was no wonder how the two girls bonded quite well when Charm was a toddler and Eena was around 8 years old. Charm would follow Eena around and the two played well. The boys would sometimes gang up on the girls but Eena would always take care and protect the little ones. Iggy was protective of RT but Eena doted over all her siblings, even Iggy. She was like their den mother when Maine or Yaya Cherry were not around.

But even if Eena showed great responsibility over her siblings, she was still a playful 8-year old. Charm toddled into the home office all dolled up complete with make-up and nail-polish to the delight of the secretaries and staff. When Maine heard the commotion, she rushed into the office to find her little girl in the middle of the crowd of adults, dancing and giggling.

"Ano yan?" she asked and the crowd opened up. Maine picked up Charm and brought her to the bathroom to wash up.

"Cham...pwiitii...." Charm said, giggling.

"Yes...Charm is very pretty....but you shouldn't be wearing make-up yet...."

"Ate...."

"Yes, I know....Eena!"

"Yes, Mom?"

"Why did you put make-up on Charm?"

"Doesn't she look cute?"

"Oo naman, anak....but don't put make up on her, please...."

"It's kids make up naman e...."

"Even so....just don't okay? The make-up might give her rashes...."

"....oh....okay....."

"It's just like when Mommy tells you to only put make-up when you're playing here at home then I make you wash your face after...."

"Yes, Mommy...."

"Ya..Gi! Ya..Gi!...bowow caw....pwis?" RT extended his little arms towards Iggy who was playing with his toys beside RT.

"Which one?" Kuya Iggy replied.

"Wed fewawi?"

"Hmm...not the red Ferrari...how about this one...see, the doors open..."

"Wed! Wed!" RT says then suddenly wails.

Then, Iggy wails as well.

"Oh, what happened?" Rj comes into the playroom upon hearing the commotion.

"Wed caw! Wed fewawiiiiii" RT cries and points to the toy he wants.

"That's kuya's....here o, red car din....sa yo ito diba?" Yaya Cherry goes near the boys playing while glancing at Charm who was quietly playing with some toys across the room.

"..O Kuya, why are you crying?" Rj asks his son.

"....RT....hit....hit me on the head....ouch!" Iggy cries and rubs the sore spot on his head.

"Let me see?" Rj says as he pulls Iggy close to "inspect" his boo-boo.

"Sus! Wala naman e...there's no bukol....you're fine, big boy...."

"RT always wants the red Ferrari....that's my favorite...." Iggy rubs his face with his hands.

"I know....how about you keep the red Ferrari and don't play with it when he's around....he has his own red car also, right?"

"o...kay...." Iggy says as he stands up and moves his toys to a different place.

"Were you as kulit as a kid?" Maine asked Rj that evening as she breastfed Charm. Rj was getting his things ready for work the next day.

"Hmmm....makulit din siguro....I remember Dad always scolding me....ilang beses ata akong napalo sa pwet...." Rj reminisced and chuckled.

"....napalo din ako....sa pwet....kasi I was also makulit....tigas ulo...." Maine giggled.

"Kids will be kids...."

"True...so true...."