Beach parties and new interests

*Picture of Alex*

My feet pummel along the hard ground to the sound of Florence and the Machine's "Dog Days Are Over". Every little seaside shop I sprint past goes by in a colourful blur and I squint my eyes, fiercely focusing on the path ahead of me.

I barely slept again last night, except this time it was for a different reason completely. So when it reached five o'clock I accepted that I was wide awake and decided to take all the emotions of the last few days out physically before I screamed into my pillow.

My feet hit the ground and I block out my erratic breaths as I run as fast as I can and concentrate on the beat of my music. I'm barely looking where I'm going when, turning a corner, I crash into someone. I forgot that I wasn't the only person alive for a second. Quickly being pulled out of my deep thoughts, I pull out my headphones and look up at the tall figure in front of me.

"I'm so sorry!" I apologise hurriedly, "I'm so clumsy, I honestly don't know why I'm allowed out of the house."
I'm met with a kind smile as I look into the strangers deep brown eyes that perfectly match his smooth, tanned skin.
"Don't worry about it," he laughs bending down to retrieve something.
"Oh thank you," I say smiling as he hands me my water bottle I must have dropped when we collided, I completely forgot I even had it.

"Again, no problem," he smiles at me looking me straight in the eye. I don't know why but I suddenly feel embarrassingly nervous, I definitely want to find out this strangers name.
"That's a great accent," I compliment him, making conversation, "is it American?"
"It sure is," he confirms nodding his head. "My dad's just got a job in ... um, Cambridge I think and my mom wanted to visit Cornwall."

I smile at this, finally some luck today.
"Well you're in luck, I happen to be a fellow Cambridge resident." I grin up at him and find myself liking him more and more.
"I am lucky," he replies "I mean even just running into you. Im Alex." He holds out his hand and I shake it back.
"Danielle. You can call me Dani though." I can't help it but I'm grinning like an idiot.

"Well, Dani, it's a pleasure to meet you," he says sincerely, smiling at me letting go of my palm, thank God it's not sweaty!
"So are you staying near here?" He asks fiddling with his white vest that shows off his toned body underneath.
"Um ... yeah just ..." I point behind me, "my family come and stay here every summer. We have friends here." I explain and he nods politely.
"So you're here all summer then?" He asks, sounding somewhat hopeful and I nod in response.
"Well then maybe I can take you out for dinner some time?" He asks boldly. Wow, I guess Americans are forward.
"Sure I'd love to." I say feeling the uncontrollable grin resurface once again.

We both exchange numbers and he says that he'll call me when he's free.

"Hey, I'm throwing a kind of new guy/welcome party tonight at the beach if you want to come and bring a friend? It's nothing special just a bonfire and probably some dancing, you're welcome to come."
"Sounds perfect!" I respond smiling, hoping that I don't sound too enthusiastic.
"Great!" He grins back "I'll text you the details."

***

"Hey where have you been?" I'm greeted with Cara's questions as soon as I walk into her bedroom. She's sat on the side of the bed, tying her running shoes.
"You were already asleep when I came up last night and then when I woke up before, you'd vanished."
"Yeah sorry," I say kicking off my shoes and sitting down next to her, "I woke up early and felt like running of some steam."
"Did you and Eli have an argument because he came downstairs looking really ... I don't know, weird and then he practically pushed Nicki out of the door." She explains smiling fondly at the memory.

Laughing I lie back on the bed, realising now how tired I am.
"How do you feel about a beach party tonight? Free booze." I ask her thinking about Alex.
"I feel pretty enthusiastic about that," she says laughing "why what's the occasion?"