Love lives and school boy charm

*Picture of Dani*

"I still can't believe that he would just show up like that ... uh!" Cara groans as our feet simultaneously smack the pavement.

"I still can't believe how scary Josh got, it was weird seeing him so fierce!" I laugh breathlessly as I struggle to keep up with my best friend who hasn't even broken a sweat in the last half an hour.

"Well, he's Eli and Jez's best friend and you know how protective they can be."

"Uh huh ..." I gasp, barely listening as I concentrate on just running at a speed that isn't embarrassing without at least one lung collapsing.

"Anyway," Cara continues completely oblivious, "can we not? I mean linger on the poisonous people in our lives."

"Well maybe not anymore, with any luck."

"Hm," she affirms as she steadily comes to a halt outside our favourite coffee shop that does the best salted caramel cheesecake in the world, "don't get too excited we're getting a coffee and that's it."

"I know, I know, waste of calories and everything," I laugh, putting my hands on my hips, "anyway to eat you need to actually be able to inhale right."

"You know I love you," Cara smirks, pulling the door open, "but you are such a drama queen."

***

"Thanks so much for helping me today, I know you're probably more interested in your own dates than some random fifteen year olds."

"Trust me Annabelle, your love life is clearly a lot more exciting than mine right now," I laugh as I sit curling Josh's sister's long auburn hair while she fiddles with her nails nervously.

"Plus," I add, "Cara's working all day so I had plenty of time to kill."

"I really appreciate it," she says sweetly, "so do you think I should go with the peach or the green dress, I mean I know it's only coffee and a movie but if it looks too formal I can always make it look less formal with my converse or Docs."

"Just don't panic Anna, you'll look stunning whatever you wear and remember it'll be dark in the cinema," I say, giving her arm an encouraging squeeze as I finish the last curl.

"It looks great, thank you, I can never get mine to look right when I curl it."

"Stop thanking me, girls are supposed to look out for each other, they don't but that's another story. Anyway, close your eyes," I warn as I shower hairspray in the right places.

"Can I ask you a question?" Annabelle asks me, standing up and approaching her pink full length mirror.

"Of course."

"Are you dating my brother?"

"What?!" My head bolts up and I can't help but half laugh out of sheer shock.

"Well you guys are spending time together now and you're both single ... not to mention that he talks about you all the time. I mean seriously no offence but it can be really annoying," she sighs, holding different earrings up to her face.

"No - I mean - Josh is great but it would be kind of awkward considering the fact that I sort of have history with one of his best friends."

"Oh yeah, Eli right?" She says with a devilish grin on her face. "I mean lucky is all I can say."

"Anna!" I laugh pretend scolding her as I lay back on her patchwork quilt and checking my phone.

"What? All I'm saying is; what's your secret? How do you get the perfect guy eating right out of your hands," she giggles again.