Life is a game of cards

*Picure of Dani*

"And ... I've chipped!" I laugh getting rid of all my cards as me, mum, Al and Cara sit competitively over our game of Rummy.

"No! I still have an Ace, do you have any idea what this will do to my score?" Cara scowls, dropping her Ace of hearts in frustration.

"Sorry," I laugh insincerely, taking the pencil to start adding up our scores so far.

"We mustn't be far from the end, it feels like we've been playing forever," my mum yawns stretching out.

"Come on Linds, you're not middle aged quite yet," Al tuts, giving me her score.

"Well on that note, does anyone want another drink?"

"Yeah, I'll come and help you Danielle love," Al replies, picking up the tray and following me up the patio steps.

We make mindless chatter as we refill everyone's drinks and the bowls of crisps and nuts.

"So how are things with my son?" She asks randomly, admittedly surprising me.

"How did you -"

"Dear, I'm not as unobservant as you seem to presume," she says with an amused smile.

"Well ... um ... good I think. Still pretty unestablished really," I confess, trying hard to keep things not awkward.

"Don't get me wrong, not that I'm not absolutely thrilled!" She grins one of her infectious grins, "I mean definitely compared to some of his last girlfriends, I mean that redhead Nicki. Well!" I can't help but laugh slightly when she says this.

"Well like I said, it's still so early on and to be honest it's actually so intimidating."

"That's my point, just be careful," she pauses, deliberating her words "you've been such close friends for so many years, make sure everything moves at a pace that you are both comfortable with."

"I promise I'll try my best," I reply giving her a grateful smile.

She responds by pulling me into one of her comforting hugs and I breath in her familiar scent. After a few seconds we take the snacks and drinks back outside into the gorgeous summer night air.

"So last game? Of course that is only if Dani doesn't beat us all again!" My mum laughs shuffling the cards as me and Cara simultaneously take a swig of our vodka and coke's.

"Yeah, my deal!" Cara insists before hurriedly taking the cards away. She is way too competitive sometimes.

We carry on with our game and I try and politely dodge a few romantic texts that come through from Alex, to be honest though I still really like his personality and my friendly replies are genuine. Cara gives me a questioning look and my firm nod confirms that it's Alex. She responds with a sympathetic smile.

***

"So you still want to be friends with him after all this then?" Cara asks curiously as we sit cross-legged on her bed in our dressing gowns, setting season 3 of Friends to play.

"Yeah, he has a great personality and we get on so why not?" I answer honestly, settling down with my cup of steaming hot chocolate.