Strategy

"So it's definitely over with you and Josh?" Cara asks as we scroll through Sky Movies, both nursing an ice water and intense hangovers after having already spent most of the day in bed.

"I don't even know if it ever truly began, he's just given me space to figure out what I want," I mutter, letting the cool glass linger between my hands.

Like a good friend she doesn't prod further instead putting her full attention into choosing the chick flick.

"Hm!" I protest very ungracefully through my glass, "Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging please?!"

"You read my mind, though not as good as the books of course," she corrects, selecting the film and turning off the side lamp as we make ourselves comfy under the bunch of blankets and cushions we compiled earlier for our lazy afternoon.

We practically mouth the movie word for word as it progresses and we relive our preteen years while fangirling embarrassingly over Robbie.

"You know it was actually Dave the Laugh that had the real glow up, we're squealing over the wrong guy," Cara interrupts righteously.

"Shut up and don't ruin my fantasy!"

"Alright Little Miss Touchy, you want a refill?" She asks, getting up and taking my glass before heading to the kitchen.

We've both seen the film too many times to count so there's absolutely no point in pausing it. Instead I check up on my social media keeping up on the amazing summers that all my friends from home are having.

"Even I know this film off by heart and chick flicks aren't really my thing," Eli groans, heading into the room stretching with a loud exhale.

"Have you just got up!" I laugh at his sleepy expression whilst he collapses on the couch next to me.

I try to avoid gazing at his grey jogging bottoms that hang just low enough to show off his toned navel. Pretending to be immersed by the movie, I wrap my blanket tighter around me as I sink lower into the couch.

"Hey, so a mate of mine's band are playing at this little dive tonight, it's not much but their music is pretty awesome if you're interested?" He asks so casually it could have been a request for my pizza order.

"What exactly do you mean a bit of a dive?" I tease, keeping my eyes glued to the screen.

"Look it's legit ok, it's a decent place just without all the fancy trimmings. I promise you'll love it, I wouldn't ask otherwise," he laughs back, reminding me that he's one of the people that knows me the best in the world.

"I would but right now I don't want to touch another drop of alcohol for at least a decade."

"We don't have to drink then you little alcy, you know you can have fun without downing a whole brewery," he taunts, smiling at me with those eyes.

"Says Mr Sober over here!" I laugh, lightly punching his arm.

"Here you go my lovely," Cara announces, coming back in with two fresh glasses and a bowl of light salad.

"You're my hero!"

We start on the food as Eli picks at random cherry tomatoes from my plate like a small child, no matter how many times I bat his hand away.

"What about you Car? You coming to this apparent "dive" tonight?"

"Unfortunately not," she replies dryly before smiling with a romantic glint in her eyes. "Jeremy's taking me out for a romantic night, just us two."

"Don't make me feel nauseous, please baby sis," Eli jokes, taking a sip from my drink. The nerve of some people!

We carry on sitting companionably in nostalgic silence as we finish the movie. For a while I let the gnawing worry of Mason's situation and guilt over me and Josh completely leave my mind.