False hope

Wrong. I couldn't have been more wrong. I will always be just his best friend's little sister.

I wake up the next morning, bright and early, feeling fresh and optimistic.

Cara is still fast asleep, cocooned in her quilt and snoring softly. I stretch out and get up heading over to the ensuite but straight away, I'm stopped in my tracks by murmuring coming from outside the door.

No ... it can't be. Can it?

Before I know what I'm doing, I've flung the door open and stepping into the hallway, I'm greeted with Eli but he's not alone. Nicki.

"Hi," Eli says softly, noticing me in the doorway, he's running his hands through his hair, still groggy from sleep.

"... Hey." I glance over at Nicki, not even trying to hide my dirty look, her hair is scraped back and she isn't wearing any makeup. She's obviously spent the night.

"Oh. Hi Dani," she says with false enthusiasm, looking me up and down.

"Wasn't expecting to see you here," I respond through gritted teeth, folding my arms across my over-sized PJ top.

Not even bothering with a response, she simply turns back to Eli with a vomit-worthy look.

"So I'll see you tonight?" She simpers gazing up at him, closing in and touching his bare chest.

"Sure." He smiles down at her and pecks her on the lips. That's enough for me already, I turn angrily back into the bedroom and slam the ensuite door behind me.

A few minutes later I hear a light knock on the bathroom door.

"Dani? Are you alright?" I hear Cara's concern-filled voice coming from the other side.

"Can I come in?" She carries on.

She doesn't wait much longer and the door slowly opens, her eyes sadden when she sees me leaning on the sink and staring decidedly at my reflection.

"What's wrong with me? Is it me? Why does he pick girls that deep down he knows are nasty bitches? Does he enjoy playing mind games with me?"

"Nicki?" She whispers, glancing at the now closed bedroom door in disappointment.

"Who else," I reply burying my face in my hands, trying as hard as I can to prevent tears "ugh! Why am I being like this? I have no right to be upset!"

"Of course you do," Cara insists gently, approaching me and wrapping her arms around me "you care about him and don't want to see him get hurt, that's good enough reason as any."

We both know the real reason but like any good friend she doesn't mention that.

"I'm sorry, I'm being such an idiot," I say splashing cold water on my face to calm down.

"Oh don't be stupid," she replies pulling me into a big hug "do you want me to go and beat her up? Actually screw that, you want me to beat up my brother for being so painfully stupid?"

"I might have to take you up on that soon," I laugh through my choking tears.

***