Epilogue

"Say ayeee ohhhhhh!" I screamed into the microphone for probably the hundredth time tonight. Note to self: Find something new to encourage crowd participation. I could always go back to making out with men on stage...

Mike bounced over to where I stood while playing the bass riff for Longview as Tre made faces at me from his spot behind the drum kit. I'd have to say we're better than ever.

I glanced over at Jason, who sent me a nod before I began the lyrics to the old song. "I sit around and watch the tube, but nothings on. Change the channels for an hour or two..."

As the song progressed the crowd got more in more into it as we did, and before I knew it we were through. Mike, Tre, and Jason walked off stage leaving me alone as one of our guitar techs walked out holding an acoustic guitar for me.

I gave a quick thank you before returning to my spot in front of the large crowd of people, "So today is a special day for me." My voice was lower than usual and I nervously ran my hand through my now blonde hair, "It's Laurens birthday actually..."

A sigh escaped my body as I scanned the crowd, "Many of you also know our story. However, I never did tell the story of how she helped me write this album."

"Crazy right? A girl who's been dead for three years now helped me write 21st Century Breakdown," I chuckle and many of the fans followed suite, "Back when she was on tour with us I was starting to write for this album."

"Whenever I'd struggle with something she would write down what she thought would work in that blank spot," a smile forms on my face at the thought of the journal I have hidden away at home with the old pictures. "After her funeral, her brother Matt gave me the journal. To say I was shocked is an understatement."

I began strumming a couple of chords on the black guitar quietly before continuing, "With her help I was able to make this album one to remember."

Cheers erupted from the audience as they recognized the song I was about to play, "This song in particular is very special. She completely wrote it herself, and when I read the lyrics I absolutely fell in love. I brought it to Mike and Tre and the three of us worked for two days straight writing the music to put behind it."

With that I stopped talking and put all of my attention on the song, "I text a postcard sent to you, did it go through? Sending all my love to you. You are the moonlight of my life, every night, sending all my love to you..."

As the song continued Jason Freese walked out to play the keyboard shortly followed by Mike, Tre, and Jason. It's like I was alone and everything was coming together again. It was a literal example of what I went through after her passing. They are my support group along with my kids and Adrienne. I still wonder how I ever got so lucky.

When I finished the final notes I backed away from the microphone and kissed my band before pointing up at the sky, "I miss you Lauren..."

And scene...

Definitely not crying, nope...

Thank you again for reading! I loved every minute of writing this story