Chapter:24

May 16, 2037,

Six months since Logan asked me to be his girlfriend. Six months he's been there for me. I'm out planting corn for the growing season. Then wheat.

My phone rang clearly. "Hello?"
"Is this Tessica Raleigh?" A man asked.
"This is she."
"Your going to need to testify against your parents to keep them in prison until you turn eighteen." He told me.
"What's the date?" I asked.
"This afternoon at one."
"I'll try to make it there. I'm in the middle of a field on a tractor." I told him.
"Your deadline is one thirty." He said before hanging up.

I called Logan quickly telling him to stall for me in case I don't get there in time. He agreed to it. Then called my uncle and grandpa. They were to help stall.

I got to a stopping point and cut the engine. Then jumped out and ran for my truck. I jumped in and hit the gas making sure to close and lock the gate behind me.

Once I got to my house I rushed inside and grabbed a quick shower then got dressed in a pair of nice jeans and a pearl snap. I threaded my belt through the loops and fastened it.

Then brushed my hair out leaving it wet. I grabbed my wallet and keys leaving Harvest in his yard. I arrived at the courthouse a little after one. Yes grandpa was the one stalling the judge.

I entered making my way down the isle. Then took a seat next to my lawyer. "Alright now that everyone is here let's begin." The judge called. I looked over at the jury. Surprised to see a few people I've seen around town.

No one knows me specifically except that I'm dating Logan Ray. First my father. He claimed that he's never hit or kicked me in my life. Yeah tell that to the doctors who said that I may not remember anything.

Then he said that my mother and him were both behind on payments. Lie. Good thing grandpa and Cal were here to testify. Next it was my mother.

Same sap story as my father said, just worded differently. Neither one said 'oh I love my daughter so much that I wouldn't even harm a hair on her head' that's what bugged me.

Then grandpa spoke. "Sir it actually started in 2033. They thought Tess was going to pay for all of this stuff they were buying. After the first fall harvest I took her to my bank and asked if she could have a bank account for the money.

"They accepted it and I was about to have it placed. At the moment she couldn't do checks and couldn't have a credit card because well she was fourteen at the time.

"Every day my son Calvin and I would pick her up from school so she'd get to her job on time at tractor supply restocking shelves."

"Thank you. Calvin Raleigh." Now Cal had to testify. I sat back bored while Cal confirmed it. Logan texted me. 'How can you sit though this?'
'I can't.'
'Me either.'
My lawyer tapped my arm.

I put my phone away forced to pay attention. "Thank you. Now we do have photo evidence from when Tessica was put in the hospital." The judge stated.

"I DIDN'T EVEN LAY A HAND ON HER. THIS ALL STARTED WHEN SHE STARTED DATING THAT BOY!" My father yelled. I jumped in my seat. Fear written across my face. That's the same tone he used when he cussed at me and called me worthless.

The judge looked at him. "Sir everyone in this town knows her boyfriend. If he was abusing her the whole would know before you. His grandfather would have known before you and he'd already have been behind bars before you would have known." The judge told him calmly.

I could tell Logan shuffled in his seat. He knew what would have happened if he did even to another girl. They went through the photo evidence even pictures that showed boot prints easily.

I fidgeted in my seat wanting to leave. My mother looked like she saw a ghost. If her parents were alive today, she would have gotten the belt. I'm pretty sure grandpa is thinking about giving my father that.

Now I had to tell them what happened the night before I had to go to the ER. I stood up and walked up to the stand. I swore on the bible like the rest did and took a seat.

"So what exactly happened that night?" The judge asked me. I caught my father's glare knowing he'd kill me if I said anything. I looked right at grandpa then at Cal. They both had sympathetic smiles on their faces.

Then I looked at Logan. He had the same facial expression. "I went to my house not seeing any vehicles there thinking that no one was home. When I went inside the house I came face to face with my father.

"He threw me on the floor and kicked me repeatedly. He called me choice words continuing to kick me in the abdomen and thighs. That night I was able to escape from him and get to a safe place." I told the judge while looking at Logan.

"Then what happened that morning when you woke up?" He asked. "All I felt was pain in my abdomen and thighs. My friend called asking where I was so I told her trying not to wince as I tried to breathe. I remember blacking out and hearing the rumble of a vehicle pulling up the the slam of a door. I don't remember anything after that."

The judge looked down at the person taking notes. My father looked furious. Grandpa was glaring at my father. Cal looked like he wanted to beat his older brother up. My mother looked at him in shock.

"Then there was the time you both tried to break into the hospital room because she was there."