Adoption- BRUELA

This one is for MarielaCasta. Prepare for feels!

After waiting for so long, Bruce and Mariela were finally expecting! They had put their name of a waiting list and a woman had selected them to adopt her baby. All the other Avengers were so excited for them, knowing how much they both deserved this. Clint even helped build them a nursery. Over the months, Bruce and Marilea had developed a really good relationship with the woman that was carrying their child. One night, they got the call that she had gone into labour. Everyone wished them luck and the couple headed to the hospital.

...

It was quite late when they returned home which meant that pretty much everyone was in bed. Mariela was thankful for this as she trudged into the kitchen and grabbed a drink out of the fridge. Seeing her, Lilly looked up from the forms she was signing and smiled.

"Hey Marley, how'd it go?" Her smile faded when she was the look on Mariela's face, which was half crushed, half dazed.

"Mariela?" she called again. This time, she took notice of Lilly.

"Oh. Hi Lilly. What're you still going up?" she asked in a quiet voice.

"I was filling out some paperwork. Did something happen? Is the baby alright? Is the mother alright?" Lilly asked concerned and standing up.

"They're both fine. It's just that... um... she, uh, she decided against the adoption," she said, voice cracking. Lilly gasped in shock and tears streamed down Mariela's face.

"I am so sorry. Come're." Mariela walked into the Aussie's open arms and wept into her shoulder.

"She took one look at her sweet little face and fell in love with her as much as we did and I don't blame her for it but still..." she sobbed.

"I know sweetie. Babies can have that effect on people. Where's Bruce?"

"He went to our room. He's pretty devastated too. I think he feels like he's letting me down again. Already he can't give me a baby and now this... I don't know, maybe it's a sign that Bruce and I weren't meant to be parents."

"Mariela, look at me," Lilly said. Mariela looked up and Lilly placed her hands on her shoulders.

"I can't think of a couple that deserves kids than the two of you. I know this will happen for you. Maybe not one day soon, but it will. And if you can't adopt here, maybe try overseas, I'm sure Tony has connections. Or you could try IVF or-or surrogacy..." Mariela nodded solemnly, mulling her words over. "Go be with your husband. I'm sure he needs you right now."

"You're right. Thanks Lil."

"Any time," she half smiled. As Mariela left, Lilly could feel her heart breaking for the couple. They had waited so long for this, only to have it snatched away from them at the last moment. It wasn't the mother's fault she wanted to keep her little girl, but that didn't stop the hurt. They could only hope that the next time they were chosen, they would get to keep the child given to them.