Chapter 1 - "Starting Over"

Songs for this chapter:

- Why Try by Ariana Grande

- American Dream by MKTO

- Flicker (Kanye West Rework) by Lorde

Ariana's POV

"After your tour of the University, drive straight home and don't do anything crazy." My father says sternly.

"I know dad. It's not like I have any friends to run off with anyway." I frown at the sight of myself not having friends. Ever since middle school. People have hated me and I was insanely depressed. But I've gotten used to being alone. After my mom left about 10 years ago, its been really hard on us. My dad and I. Especially my dad though. I don't see how he can handle all of this. He works three jobs just to keep everything balanced. I offered to work too, but my father only wants me to focus on my education. Which is pretty much all he'd ask out of me. We've gotten more distant in our father-daughter relationship. Mainly because of all he does and we never have time for each other. It's my freshman year at college and I'm so glad to get out of high school. I didn't even go to prom because I wasn't asked plus I didn't have friends to go with, so I just stayed home and watched The Vow, Titanic and lastly Paranormal Activity 1 to 4. I'm into sappy love stories but I also love the "piss my pants" flicks too.

"Okay, good. Have a nice day today, baby." My dad responds. Planting a kiss on my forehead and rushing out the door with his suitcase and dressy suit. I run back upstairs and take a long shower. Besides I don't have to be there until 5, and it's 3:45. When I make my way out the shower, wash and dry my hair, wash my face, brush my teeth and apply light makeup, it's already 4:55. Wow, that took longer than I expected it to. I change into my oversized Malibu sweatshirt, some black leggings, my favorite brown uggs and slip my white beanie on over my messy hair. I go over to the mirror and feel like I'm missing something. I look over to see my mom's earrings she gave to me a week before she left. No matter how mad I should be at her for not explaining or even saying goodbye to me for leaving, I'm not angry. So I put them in my ears, grab my somewhat stylish book bag and start out the door. I hop on my bike and make my way down to the University.

••

It's now 5:30 when I arrive. There's already a crazy amount of people here. So when I actually talk to the lady at the desk, it's 6:45.

"Hi," I smile at the nice lady behind the transparent glass. "I'm Ariana Grande, do you happen to know where the sign in sheets or where I could get my schedule and room number are?"

"Here." She slides the sign in sheet to me. "And you should've gotten the schedules and everything in the mail."

I frown while signing the sheet.

"Thank you." Now I start to walk out.

"Wait," she yells to me before I can even get halfway out the door to leave completely. She motions me to come back inside, by motioning me to make my way to her. "I can give you your information right now, since you were really the only nice one here today." She laughs quietly.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much." I praise.

"It's nothing, now what's your name again sweetie?" The nice lady asks softy.

"Ariana Grande." I say loud and proud. A huge grin on my face.

"That's a beautiful name." She smirks handing me my info sheet.

"Thanks again. I hope people here are as nice here as you are."

"I doubt that." She mumbles loud enough that I can hear her say it.

I look on the paper which says « 1167 » is my room number. I can't wait to see who's my roommate.

I step in the elevator with 2 guys who keep looking at me up and down then back at each other smirking. One whispers in the other one's ear, but I can't make out what they said. There's no doubt in my mind they're talking about me.