Chapter 24 - "What the Hell?"

Songs for this chapter:

- Daydreamin' by Ariana Grande

- Am I Wrong by Nico & Vinz

- Somebody That I Used to Know cover by Pentatonix

Ariana's POV

I knock on my dorm door. I hope Liz has my phone and keys tucked away somewhere safe in the room.

"Young lady, I've been calling you for the longest. The campus hospital called me and told me you got hurt." My father comes from behind us. I'm so dead. "Are you okay?" He turns me around to look at my head. "You got into a fight?"

"Not exactly."

Elizabeth comes to open the door with a towel wrapped around her head and just a bra and panties on. "Oh my god, Ariana!" She brings me into a huge hug. "Watch out for the toes though, I just painted them."

My dad eyeballs Liz. Then he's confused by why Cole is waiting by the door with Paige and I.

"Hello Mr. Grande. Nice to see you again." Elizabeth smiles. "Paige what are you doing here? Hey Cole!" She waves. "Well," she turns around to go back in the room, "are y'all just going to stand here? C'mon in."

"I don't think that's such a good idea." My dad stays in the frame of the doorway.

"Don't be so uptight Mr. G."

"Yeah, I think we should go too. I'll tell you what's going on later, Liz." Paige and Cole say goodbye to us.

"Do you two want privacy?"

"Actually no, we were just leaving."

"Dad, I need to-"

"You need to switch colleges. Everything bad has been happening ever since you started coming here. Ariana, you think you can do anything because I give you this bit of freedom. You would've never thought about dating bad boys, going to parties or being friends with a crazy stripper."

"Woah, hold your roll old man. I'm not a stripper." Elizabeth fires back, but he ignores her.

"Even if I did switch colleges, what if they don't accept me because it's too late?"

"I'll figure everything out, come home."

"I need to go somewhere."

"I'll take you, just tell me where."

"No dad, I need to go alone. I'm grown enough to go somewhere without your permission and you looking over me 24/7."

"Exactly why you need to come home. You'd never talk to me in that tone."

"I'll come home right after I do what I need to do. Please, trust me."

"Okay," he kisses my forehead. "I'll see you at home baby."

"I love you."

"I love you more."

Once I see he's out of sight, I turn to Liz. "We need to pick up Hannah and David ASAP, then visit Jason."

We get and Hannah and head to get David.

"Ugh." David tries to close his door in our face but Liz blocks it with his shoe.

"The fuck is your deal? I should punch you in the face, because you're being an asshole." Elizabeth pushes in.

"Paige already contacted me about Jason. He used to be in a big chunk of my life, but now he isn't. Plain and simple."

"Don't you feel like apart of you is missing then?" Hannah questions.

"What is she doing here? I want nothing to do with her."

"I don't care if you want to admit it or not, but Jason is still your best friend and you'll care about him no matter what. So get your head out of your ass. Jason's being accused of killing Derek while he was in a coma and is facing life in prison and all you want to focus on is what Hannah is doing here?" Liz rolls her eyes. "Let's go. Other than me, I've never met anyone so selfish." She walks out the room.

We follow.

As we get in the car, Elizabeth is still heated. "I just can't believe him. What a fake ass friend."

We get to the jail, once more.

I'm so scared to be back here again. What if they move Jason to a bigger and scarier place? I'm just terrified.

"Visiting Jason Young," Elizabeth says with agitation in her tone.

"Right this way." The officer leads us to a line of telephones. I can't believe Jason is practically already living like a murderer when they don't know if he did it or not. He doesn't have on any prison clothes, so that's okay I think.

He plops down in the seat in front of us. We can't hear him talk if we don't pick up the phone. Liz takes ahold of it first.

"Are you alright?" "We're gonna get you out of here. I know you didn't do it. Did you?" "Okay, just making sure."

I see some words coming out of his mouth but I can't understand the sentence clearly.

"I talked to David, he's being a dick about the whole situation." "Has Paige seen you like this?" "I'm trying Jason, cut me some slack." Elizabeth hangs up the phone. "He wants to speak to you."

I gulp hard and slowly grab the phone off the hook. "H-hello." I stutter.

"Hey beautiful. I just wanted to clarify, I did not kill Leeroy's brother. I swear of it. You believe me right?"

"Of course I do." Clear with hesitation.

He puts his hand on the glass, I do the same. I can't feel him and I can't touch him, but I see the hurt in his eyes and voice. I want him out of here pronto.

"TIME'S UP." The officers on mine and his side yells. I jump because the man on my side has the deepest voice ever.

"That's our cue to leave." Elizabeth grabs Hannah and I's hands and we rush out this depressing place.

••

We get in my room and Hannah asks if I can go to the hall bathroom with her.

"I really have to tell you something." She darts her eyes around the room.

"What's going on Hannah?"

"I know Jason didn't kill Derek."

"I'm pretty sure he didn't either."

"No I mean, know."

"Huh?"

"I know because," she bends down to whisper in my ear, "I killed Derek."

--
A/N:

I don't know how to feel rn. Like wtf? lol. Comment who or what you thought killed Derek & predict what you think'll happen.

Comment & Vote. <3

- Kendall xx.