Chapter 28

It had already been an hours since Bowser had agreed to take Peach back to the Mushroom Kingdom. You all had taken the clown cart, seeing as the doomship was being repaired. You stood next to Bowser, looking down at the flat field below you.

"Are we there yet?" You asked.

"Nope." Bowser sighed.

"Are you sure? We've been flying around forever." You groaned.

"Yes I'm sure, I've been here millions of times." He assured.

"Then how far away is it?" You asked.

"Not very far." He murmured.

You looked over at Peach, who silently looked down from the opposite side of the clown cart. You were tempted to ask if she was alright, but she just didn't look happy enough to talk with the people who had literally just killed her husband.

"We're still almost there." Bowser informed.

You looked and squinted your eyes, trying to see what was left of the Mushroom Kingdom. But, you weren't able to see that far away. You stared at the land below with a bored, dull expression. Trees and bushes blew in the strong gusts of wind. You looked in the distance and saw what the Mushroom Kingdom had become. The castle was in hundreds of pieces, all that was left from the castle was a large pink pile of bricks left behind. Tiny dots of bricks from every house were the only thing left, besides the pink bricks.

"Wow, You really wrecked everything..." Peach sighed.

"Where are you going to go?" You asked her.

"No idea." She frowned.

"You could apologize to Mario and Luigi and rebuild everything." You suggested.

"I'll figure something out." She muttered.

The clown cart lowered to the ground and Peach jumped out, running away from the clown cart.

"Should we go back?" Bowser asked you.

"Yes. She isn't going to come back." You sighed.

The clown cart launched into the air. You kneeled on the ground, your back pressed against the metal wall. You awaited landing impatiently, closing your eyes trying to sleep through the ride.

                              • • •

You woke up in your bed and looked over at the window. It was late at night and bright stars twinkled in the night sky. You looked beside you and Bowser was sleeping silently. You felt too wide awake to go back to sleep, so you slid out of bed and roamed the castle. You assumed Bowser had taken care of Claire and fed her when he arrived at the castle, so there was no need to disrupt her slumber. You walked closer to one half of the hallway, looking up at the portrait paintings of the Koopalings and Bowser. In the dim lighting, they looked absolutely terrifying, considering they looked scary to most people. You turned a corner of the hallway and reached the wooden railing that looked down to the main entrance like a enormous balcony. White marble statues of Bowser were placed every five feet and were much taller than you. Engraved silhouettes of Bowser were carved into the stone walls of the castle. You had never taken time to notice these things, the small details.

"Are you okay?"

You began to sprint as fast as you could, but a large hand pulled you closer. You looked up to see Bowser's yellow face lit by the dull moonlight that shone through the small windows dotted along the hallway.

"Sorry, Bowser, I thought you were Haru." You apologized.

"Haru's dead. He's not coming back," Bowser reminded.

"I know that... I just feel unsafe." You sighed.

"It's all going to be fine. You don't have anything to worry about." He smiled.

"If you say so." You yawned.

"It's getting really late, you should get some rest."

"Yeah..." You sleepily nodded, your eyelids getting heavier each second.

"Let's just relax tomorrow, I really need a break from everything."

"Agreed."