Jamie: 22.

The auditorium was full, all five thousand of the students both first and second years were crammed into the room. Vibrations filled the room from the murmurs of all the students. An announcement was passed through the school this morning that everyone – under no circumstances were anyone to not attend – had to meet in the auditorium at the beginning of the third period. Many people were missing their classes to be in here and no-one had any idea why. Pattering of footsteps could be heard clearly in my ears as I was sitting at the end of the row right by the stairs. Logan was behind me and Harley was at my side, Jenna behind her but I couldn’t find Mason anywhere.

“What are we doing here?” Harley muttered, inspecting her nails. “I’m meant to be in the gym right now.”

 “I don’t know, Harls,” I replied, still a little annoyed at how her attitude wasn’t changing towards Logan. She couldn’t even simply pretend to get along with her to make me happy. She knew I didn’t like the fact that she wasn’t pleasant towards my friend. “Have you seen Mason?”

“No. Sorry.”

She didn’t sound very sorry. I rolled my eyes and took my phone out of my pocket, looking through my contacts to find Mason’s number. Just as I pressed the green button to ring him, the lights cut out. Staring wide-eyed and opened mouth I watched the large velvet curtains of the stage draw back and saw Mason standing on stage in-front of a microphone with the college band standing behind him.

 “Oh, bloody hell.” I muttered, wondering what he was doing on stage as I dropped my phone. What was he even doing up there? He called everyone up so he could announce that the band was going to perform? I know he’s in the student council but we hadn’t run over this in session. What was he playing at?

Harley looked up from her nails as new rumbles of whispered started up in the room. “Found Mason.”

“I can see that.” I retorted.

Suddenly I felt someone tap on my shoulder and turned around, wincing slightly as I turned a little too fast. Logan, seeing my expression, hesitated.

“What?”

“What is Mason doing up there?” she asked.

“I have no idea.” I sighed. “Probably something stupid.”

Logan smiled and I returned the gesture. Jenna looked at us and with an adoring gleam in her eye she placed her head on Logan’s shoulder. “Whatever he’s going to do it’s cute.”

“Jaime Mars?”

I quickly recovered my back so it was straight, now facing the front of the auditorium again. I didn’t look at Mason after he called for my attention, yet grew nervous under the many stares that were literally in my face. Everyone around me had stopped looking at Mason to look at me.

No sooner had I scanned the crown of people that were looking at me had some music began. It was soft, a melody, but it caught my attention. Mason was still stood at the front of the room, and another violinist joined Richard, the first person in the band to begin the piece. He didn’t introduce the band, so what was he doing?

Realisation suddenly hit me. “Oh no…”

“What?” Harley asked, looking around as if something big other than what was happening on the auditorium was suddenly happening.

No sooner had she spoke had Mason opened his mouth.

“It’s a beautiful night; we’re looking for something dumb to do. Hey baby, I think I want to marry you—”

“Oh my god, he’s singing!” Jenna giggled. I tried to ignore the stares of the people around me as my cheeks coloured.

“Is it the look in your eyes, or is it this dancing juice? Who cares, baby… I think I want to marry you.”