Tasting The Rainbow {27}

“Hi Adam,” I said as he sat next to me in class. “Hi,” he grumbled. “Um…so do you want to hang out after school?” I asked and he shook his head. “Can’t.” “Oh. Why not?” I asked curiously. “None of your damn business,” he said coldly, but his eyes told me he was desperately hiding something.

                Holy shit. What if he was cheating on me with that girl? That had to be it. What else could Adam possibly be hiding from me? Was I not good enough for him? Was that it? Was he going to break up with me to get with that girl?

                I fell silent until the bell rang. I hurried out of the class without another word to Adam. I was suddenly terrified that he was going to break up with me any second now.

                At the end of the day, I went over to Clapper. “Come over to my house,” I said. “But I was going to Addison’s,” he said. I shook my head and shot him a pleading look. “My house. Please Marco?”

                He gave me a concerned look. I hadn’t called him Marco since he had gotten the clap. He nodded at me and followed me to my bus. We both stayed silent until we got to my house. We went inside and up to my bedroom.

                “Alright chink, you’re freaking me out. What’s up?” he asked, sitting on my bed and trying to slip back into his usual sarcastic self. I gulped and bit my lip nervously.

                “I…I think Adam’s cheating on me with that girl he was flirting with!” I blurt out and dropped my gaze from his. “That girl is Kelly. She’s Addison’s best friend. I don’t really know her, but I can see if Addison knows what’s up with that,” he said with a slight shrug.

                “Dammit! He’s going to break up with me!” I cried miserably. “Zelly, chill out. No he’s not,” Clapper said, rolling his eyes. “Yes he is. God dammit,” I whispered and collapsed on my bed.

                Clapper pulled me into a sitting position and shook me a little. “Zelly, calm the fuck down. No he’s not. Addison said he’s been extremely happy since he started dating you. Why would he dump you?”

                “Because he likes that girl more,” I said silently. “Or because I’m not good enough.” He snorted and shook his head. “You? Not good enough? Zelly, you took him in for a week just so he didn’t have to stay in a broken home. That kid didn’t have emotions before he started dating you. He’s not going to dump you for some bitch. I don’t care how horny him and his cool as fuck eyes are. He will NOT break up with you. So calm down.”

                I bit my lip again and sighed. “I hope he doesn’t. I really like him, Marco.” He sighed in annoyance. “You know, I complain about how much I hate it when you call me Clapper, but it sounds too weird when you call me Marco. Stop calling me by my name you stupid chink!” he said and I laughed a little.

                “Maybe I’ll call you Marco from now on, just to piss you off. Remember when I used to call you Marco Polo to piss you off?” I said and he sighed again. “I need straight friends. I really do,” he grumbled.

                It was weird. I wasn’t popular at all, but Clapper was actually really popular. He just chose to hang out with me all the time. He rarely hung out with anyone else. He was a racist mother fucker, but he was my best friend and I would die for him. We acted like we hated each other and got on each other’s nerves, but we would take a fucking bullet for each other.

                I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. “I’m really scared, Clapper,” I said quietly. “Don’t be, Zelly. He won’t break up with you. People would think he was racist.” I smiled lightly. “Yea. I guess you’re right. He wouldn’t want that title.”

                “Speaking of racist, your mom had the wok out when we came in. What’s she making?” he asked curiously. I rolled my eyes. “She’s making stir fry for dinner.” “Fuck yea! I’m staying for dinner,” he said and I rolled my eyes again. “I thought you were going to Addison’s house?” “Fuck her; your mom makes kickass stir fry.”

                I laughed and shook my head. “Shit. It’s surprising you can get a girlfriend, Clapper.” He grinned and pointed at his crotch with a wink. “And you people thought I only got it in once.” I sighed and shook my head at him. “You wish. No one wants your STDs.”

                “It was one STD you asshole!” he whined. “And it sucked. Big time.” “Most STDs do, I’d assume,” I said, raising my eyebrow. He sighed and shook his head. “That shit sucked. My mom and dad were ready to murder me.”

                I laughed and laid down on my bed. Clapper glanced at me. “Zelly…if Adam does break up with you for that girl, I’ll beat the shit out of him,” he said quietly. “I hope it doesn’t come to that, Clap. I really hope it doesn’t,” I whispered.