Tasting The Rainbow {29}

“Adam,” I choked out. He pulled away from Skye quickly and glanced at me. His eyes widened in fear. “Zelly!” he cried. Shit. I felt tears threatening to come to my eyes. I choked them back and turned my head away from him.

                “I’m…I…” I began to walk away quickly. “Zelly!” Adam cried and hurried after me. “You stay away from him you cheating fuck!” Clapper snarled before coming after me himself.

                I felt myself running. I raced out of the school, not giving a flying fuck if I got detention for it. I ignored Clapper’s cries and just ran and ran. I made my way back to my house and through my front door open.

                “Barry! What the hell are you doing home from school young man?” my dad demanded furiously. But I just couldn’t take it. I dropped to my knees in the doorway, burying my head in my hands and allowing a few tears to roll down my cheeks. I shook violently as I tried to stop the flood I could feel coming.

                “Barry!” he cried and hurried over to me. “Barry?” my mom cried and ran out. She stared at me in shock before hurrying over to me. “What’s wrong Barry?” my dad asked gently, placing a hand on my back.

                I just shook my head. If I spoke, the flood of emotions would come crashing through me. I didn’t want that. I didn’t want my parents to have to see that.

                My dad pulled me to my feet and guided me into the living room. I wanted to tell him I was okay, but I just couldn’t speak. I kept my face in my hands, ashamed that my parents had to see me like this. It would break their hearts. I never cried. I hadn’t broken down since my grandpa died two years ago.

                “What happened honey?” my mom asked gently, brushing my hair out of my face and trying to get my hands away from my face. I shook my head again. I didn’t want to tell them. I didn’t want to worry them.

                I got up shakily. “I want to be alone. Please,” I whimpered quietly and began to walk away. “Barry, wait! Did someone hurt you? Barry, what happened? Please tell us!” my dad begged desperately, getting up and coming over to me.

                “I want to be alone,” I choked out before going upstairs. I shut my door and collapsed on my bed, shaking violently. I heard someone knocking on the front door and opened my bedroom door. I crept to the top of the stairs and listened as my dad opened it, praying it would just be Clapper.

                “Is Zelly here?” Adam’s voice asked flatly. My heart stopped and I felt myself choking up again. I squeezed my eyes shut.

                “What happened to him? Did you do something to him?” dad demanded. “I…I didn’t mean to,” Adam said nervously. “What the hell did you do to my son?” dad asked viciously. “I didn’t…I mean…It wasn’t…it wasn’t me! It was an accident!” Adam said, slight desperation slipping into his emotionless voice.

                “Get out of here! If my son wants to talk to you, he’ll go to your house!” dad snarled and slammed the front door. I stayed with my eyes squeezed shut tightly as I heard him make his way up the stairs towards me.

                “Barry!” he said in surprise. I didn’t open my eyes. I brought my hands back up to my face as I felt more tears coming on. Dad sat next to me and put his arm around me. Shit. I was 17 years old, and about to burst into tears while my dad basically held me. Talk about a stereotypical gay.

                “What did he do to you, Barry?” he asked gently. I shook my head slowly. “Don’t give me that shit. What did he do to you?” I knew my dad was serious now. He never swore, especially not in front of me and Rose.

                “It doesn’t matter,” I said and sniffed, trying not to break down in my dad’s arms. “I’m just a stupid fag going through drama with his boyfriend.”

                “Shut up Barry. I don’t care if you’re gay, and neither does your mother. We love you just the way you are. Big deal; you’re a boy who likes boys. Love is love. The point is, you’re our son, you’re in pain, and that boy is causing it. Now what happened?”

                God damn I loved my dad. “I saw him kissing a girl, dad. He cheated on me. I’m not good enough,” I whispered and began to cry. My dad hugged me in his strong, loving arms. “Don’t say that. If he cheated on you, he’s the one who’s not good enough.”

                “Thanks dad. I love you,” I said quietly. “I love you so much, Barry. Stay strong kid,” dad said, hugging me tightly and kissing my forehead. He helped me up and I wiped my eyes. “I’m going to go to Clapper’s house. I need to talk to him,” I said and my dad nodded. “I’ll give you a ride. I have to leave to pick up Rose soon anyways.”

                “Thanks dad,” I said and we got into the car. He dropped me off at Clapper’s house and waved. I waved back, loving my dad deeply. I took a deep breath before going and knocking on Clapper’s front door, wondering what the hell I was going to do now.