Tasting The Rainbow {8}

I coughed into my arm to cover up my pause. “Uh, Addison said she needs your help with the stove,” I said once I found my voice again.

                I heard a strange noise and looked down. I bit my lip so I wouldn’t laugh. “This is Potent, I take it?” Adam nodded as he got up with the girl still in his arms. Now I did laugh a little. “The dog Mrs. Costello thought was big?” Adam nodded again.

                Holy shit. His dog was a fucking Chihuahua! It was growling at me. I bit the back of my hand so that I wouldn’t laugh anymore.

                “Whatever,” Adam grumbled and shoved by me, holding the girl’s hand. Kobi came over to me and smiled a friendly smile. “Don’t en-salt his dawg. He wuves Po-tant mowe than he wuves most pee-pal,” he said with a shrug and bent down to pick the dog up.

                We followed Adam and the girl downstairs to Clapper and Addison. “Adam the stove is being mean to me again!” Addison whined and pointed at it. Adam sighed in annoyance and went over to it.

                “Addison, you idiot. You have to set the intensity and push the knob,” he said, his voice incredibly annoyed as he did it. “Don’t be mean to me Adam Ace!” Addison said with a frown.

                “Yea Adam, don’t be mean to her!” the girl said, sticking her tongue out. “I’ll be mean to whoever I want, Skye,” Adam said with a small smile. “You won’t be mean to me!” the girl, Skye, said with a smile. “You’re right. But you’re not my little sister,” Adam said and kissed her cheek.

                “I’m telling mom that you’re being mean to me again!” Addison whined. “Go for it. Like I said yesterday Addi, she loves me more. I’m her little boy,” he said with a little smirk.

                The sound of their door opening came through and Addison smirked. “We’ll see about that. Mom! Mom! Mom!” A woman entered the kitchen. “Yes Addison?” she asked in confusion. She was a slightly more wrinkled version of Addison. She had Addi and Adam’s blond hair, and Addison’s wet green eyes. She had their light skin color, and the same nose and lips.

                “Adam was being mean to me and calling me an idiot because I couldn’t figure out the stupid stove!” Her mom sighed. “Addison, we’ve had that stove for years, and you still can’t work it?” Adam smirked again. “Told you,” he said triumphantly.

                “Oh, who are your friends?” she asked curiously, looking at Clapper and I. “They’re mine and Adam’s friends! This is Zelly and Marco. Guys, this is my mom,” Addi said with a smile.

                “Nice to meet you boys, I’m Mrs. Ace,” she said with a smile and shook our hands. “Nice to meet you too ma’am,” I said with a smile.

                She glanced at Clapper curiously. “Are you Marco Jones?” Clapper nodded. “That’s the name they gave me,” he said with a nod. “Are you Bert’s son?” Clapper nodded again. “Yea, Bert’s my dad. Sadly.”

                Mrs. Ace shook her head. “Sadly? He’s such a nice man! Adam and Addison’s father knows him. They used to work together”

                “Mrs. Ace, please don’t make your son’s ego bigger than it already is,” Skye said, laughing as Adam wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close to him. “I don’t have a big ego. I just think I’m better than everyone else,” he said jokingly.

                Holy shit. He was a completely different Adam around this girl. She was the girl in his phone background. My heart suddenly ached, and for no reason at all. Yea, he was attractive. But I barely knew him, so why was this bothering me so much?

                “Oh, Adam doesn’t have a big ego. He’s just mean to his sister a lot,” Mrs. Ace said with a jokingly smile. Adam shrugged. “Put a bitch in her place,” he said and smirked at Addison.

                “Adam Alexander Ace! Watch your language! Especially when you’re talking about your sister!” Mrs. Ace said sternly. Adam suddenly looked angry. “Shut up mom!” he snapped before storming out of the kitchen.

                “Oh, Adam,” Skye whispered before she took off after him. “Sowwy abowt dat Miss-us Ace,” Kobi said apologetically before following Adam and Skye.

                “Well that was weird,” Clapper said with a nod and I elbowed him in the gut. “What? It was!” he cried in annoyance.

                Mrs. Ace sighed sadly. “That boy,” she said, shaking her head. “And he’s still your favorite,” Addison said with a pout. “No! I love both of you the same,” Mrs. Ace said, smiling a little at Addison. “I just don’t like when he gets angry at me for telling him not to swear.”

                She left the room and I turned to Addison. “Who’s that girl he’s with?” I asked bluntly. She sighed. “That’s Skye. She’s his…he claims they’re not dating, but they obviously are.”

                “Oh,” I said and Addison nodded. “Why did Adam get so pissed? Your mom doesn’t make him deep throat a bar of soap when he swears, she just tells him no-no,” Clapper said.

                Addison bit her lip nervously. “It’s…complicated. I can’t really explain why he gets so mad. I guess, because our parents used to swear. Like, really bad. Fuck was every other word. So that’s kind of why Adam gets mad when our mom tells him not to. It’s really hard to explain.”

                I was confused, but I nodded anyways. “Addison, your brother is stuck up as hell,” Clapper said and Addison frowned deeply. “Marco! Don’t be mean to my brother! He is not!” I snorted and she frowned even more.

                “Oh shut up. Anyways, entertain me while I’m making your food,” Addison said and began to stir the meat. “Oh! How about a joke?” I offered eagerly. Addison and Clapper shrugged. “Go for it chink,” Clapper said and I rolled my eyes. “Okay, so a man and a monkey walk into a bar…I forgot the rest of the joke, but your mother’s a whore.” Clapper nodded. “Damn straight my mother is!” We all laughed and fell into telling Yo Mama jokes as Addison made us food.