Ben steps up

*Ben*
He let Tom sleep most of the morning, then he went into the guest room. "Wake up Tom, we need to talk".

Tom just rolled over, mumbling something Ben couldn't quite make out, but he was pretty sure it wasn't anything nice.

"Forget it Tom, you need a serious kick in the ass before you ruin everything for yourself, so get up". Ben shook his shoulder.

Tom grunted annoyed and pulled away. "Leave me be Ben, I am not talking to you, if you have forgotten".

"Well then we are doing this the hard way Tom". Ben grabbed him and dragged him into the bathroom, pushing him into the shower and turning on the water.

Tom spluttered and fought to get up. "What the hell Ben ? Why am I here by the way ?"

"You are here because Amber called me last night when she came home and found you drunk ass sleeping on her bed, what on earth were you thinking Tom ?" Ben were glaring at him.

Tom slid down on the floor, hiding his face in his hands. "Oh fuck, Luke called and told me I was pretty much done for and I might have tried to drown my sorrows a bit, I was thinking of Amber, shit I didn't realise I went to her place".

"Get cleaned up Tom, there is everything you need in the cupboard, And there is clothes in the bedroom, then come downstairs and we talk okay ?" He looked at his best friend.

Tom nodded and got up. "Thank you Ben, I haven't deserved your help, so thank you for doing this".

"Wait with the thanking until I am done with you Hiddles, but you are welcome". Ben smiled and left the bathroom.

*Tom*
The warm water soothed his sore body, his head was throbbing and he felt like the biggest idiot ever, now he had truly messed up, if Amber had seen him like this she would definitely never take him back.

He washed and shaved, he needed a haircut to, it had started to curl, but that had to wait.

Then he walked into the bedroom and pulled on boxers, sweatpants and a T-shirt, he suddenly realised how much weight he had lost, when he had to tie the pants in, for them not to slide down.

He walked downstairs to find Ben in the kitchen. "Sit down Tom, you need to eat, you look like you haven't had a decent meal for weeks".

"Well I guess I haven't, unless whisky counts". He sighed and sat down, Ben shook his head, and put a plate of eggs, beans and bacon in front of him.

He went and got him a cup of tea, a bottle of water and some painkillers, Tom instantly swallowed the pills with half the bottle of water. "Thanks".

"I know you are angry with me Tom, and I am actually sorry, I didn't realise you had feelings for her. I thought you were just playing her like the other women and I hated that". Ben looked at him.

Tom looked up for the food. "I should have told you, and I should have realised you had feelings for her as well, I guess I am sorry to".

Ben smiled, they didn't need to say anything else about that, they both knew that they had forgiven each other.

"So I guess you and Amber made up, since she called you, are you to .. Well more than friends ?" Tom kept his eyes on his food, he couldn't be angry if they were, he had blown his chance.

Ben huffed lightly. "No we are not, not in any way, she made it very clear that we are never going to be anything but friends, no more benefits".

"I guess, I am sorry for you, but I can't help being a little relieved". Tom said with an apologetic smile.

Ben chuckled. "It's fine Tom, I still love her and I always will, but I know she has changed, me and her are not so compatible anymore, we aren't meant to be more than friends".

"Unfortunately she hates me, and now she seen me at my worst, I will never get her back now". Tom felt his heart crumble.

Ben sighed. "I am not sure you deserve my help the way you have been acting lately, you are a bloody idiot, and she would be right to stay away from you, but the poor girl is deeply in love with you for some unimaginable reason".

"She is ? Are you sure ?" Tom looked up, feeling his hope bloom, his eyes getting a bit of sparkle back.

He was staring at Ben, was he telling the truth ? "Yes she is Tom, and she is miserable as well, but admittedly handling it a lot better than you".

"And I am going to help you Tom, but by God you are going to shape up and get yourself and your career back on track, she deserves a real man, not this pathetic excuse". Ben said harshly.

Tom nodded, he really had to get himself together, for his own sake and for his family and friends. "I know Ben, I know, but I just don't know if it's possible to save my career".

"We get you Amber back first, then get you on right track and then hope the career will come to, Luke has to work some of that magic". Ben said.

Tom had emptied his plate. "But how ? She won't come anywhere near me, she won't answer my calls or messages".

"Well I happen to know that she will be at my premiere tonight, as she is my date, but you have to trust me Tom, you wont get Amber back by begging her, you have to.. Well convince her". Ben said.

Tom looked confused. "Convince her ? You mean like giving her no choice or what ?"

"How was she when you were with her ? What do you think will make her give in, you begging on your knees or you ordering her to stop acting stupid ? Before you I would have said option one, but not anymore". Ben shrugged.

Tom bit his lip, could this work ? What if Ben was wrong ? What if she still hated him ? Then trying to force her could be the last straw ruining him, but he had to take that chance.