9. Holes in Memory

SCOTT POV

We take Malia's car as I track Stiles's scent. His fox smell is particularly pungent, making it easy to follow. I give Malia directions on where the scent leads.

We end up at the Beacon Hills conservation area, where a particular burnt-down house is located. I have a feeling that's where they went. I tell Malia that much, and we race out of the car and into the woods.

We reach the Hale house, but I pull Malia behind a tree before the gathered persons can see us.

I faintly recognize the group as Nora's pack, seeing the tall muscular boy, the two sisters, and--just the other boy. Where's Daniel and Nora? And where is Stiles?

I'm about to step out in the open when Malia whispers, "I can smell him. They went this way." She quickly runs the way we came, but I see her make a detour around the back of the house. I follow her quietly.

We rush through the trees, keeping a brisk pace. The scent leads to the small gravel road that brings you to the Hale house, and we run down it. Malia sniffs every ten seconds, making sure we are on the right track.

We come back to where Malia's car is parked, and quickly, the coyote gets in. I'm about to when my phone rings.

"Hey, Scott, are you free? I was wondering if you wanted to study together for our history test."

"Stiles, where have you been?" I ask, my voice frantic.

"What do you mean?" He says, sounding very confused. "Scott, I've been at home for the past ten minutes. Before that, I was out for like, half an hour."

"With who?" I question.

"Nora. She wanted to introduce me to her pack properly. You know, without the whole 'I'm menacing and look like I want to kill you' thing."

I furrow my brows. "Seriously?"

A huff, then, "Yes, Scott. Now, can you come over or not?"

I look into the car where Malia is listening intently. "Yeah. Be there in ten."

"Okay, great. See you then." He hangs up before I can say goodbye.

I put the phone away, shrugging at Malia's expression, and get in the car.

"What the hell?" She exclaims, turning to me. "I saw him get in his jeep with her. He said he would text me 'later'. It has been later! He was gone way longer than a half hour."

I sigh. "I don't know. But I'm heading over to his house. I'll text you the details."

She looks like she's about to protest, but then nods her consent. "Okay. Want me to drop you off?"

I manage a small smile. "Sure."

***

STILES POV

I hear a knock on the door, and I rush to answer it. Scott is standing on the porch, and smiles when he sees me.

"Hey, bud," I say. "Come on in."

We walk up to my room, and I grab my history textbook before sitting down on my bed. "Okay, so--" I notice Scott is still standing in the doorway. "Scott, you okay?"

"Where, exactly, were you tonight?" Scott asks, moving a step into my room.

I raise a brow. "I already told you over the phone. I had gone with Nora to the place her pack is holding out. She introduced me properly, and then--"

"What happened after that?" He cuts me off.

I sigh, exasperated. "I came home, Scott! Why are you questioning me so much?" I move to stand up, but the muscles in my stomach tighten. I wince.