Ch 24: Trial

(unedited)

Nicky's pov

"Nicky." 

I looked at my brother. "Hmm?"

"I know, what you're thinking, Nicky." I scooted over so that Zac would sit next to me, "And I want you to stop."

I played innocent. "I have no idea what you're taking about."

He pulled that stop lying face. "You're thinking of distancing yourself from Alex, right? Because he's a flirt and might end up being like Travis?"

Why can Zac see through me so easily? "Yes, actually."

He sighed. "You know, I think you should give him a chance. Alex is not like Travis."

 I looked at him sharply, "What makes you say that?"

"Well, if, like Travis, Alex wanted to 'destroy' UnderKover, he would've done so a long time ago, he is the heir to the place after all. Besides, I don't think he wants to hurt you."

Problem is...I don't think so either, but that's what makes it worse. What makes it the worst is that I promised him that I would trust him. "I don't know Zac..."

He smiled, trying to cheer me up. "Don't worry about it. For now, just go and thank him."

I nodded. "Where is he?"

He thought, "I don't know, I haven't seen him in a while."

Well, I guess I'll just call him. I got my phone out of my pocket and dialed his number. He picked it up on the first ring. 

"N-N-Nichole?"

That was creepy. "Hey, where are you?"

"I'm at the main office. Are you okay?"

I got up, gestured bye to Zac and headed towards the main office. Since I just wanted to talk  to him as Nichole, I didn't bother changing my clothes as Phoenix. "Well, I'm talking to you right now, so I'm obviously okay."

"That's not what I meant. I'm just surprised that you actually called me. I was wondering if you got a concussion when you fainted."

"Ha-ha. Very funny. Anyways stay where you are, I'm coming over. I need to talk to you."

He sounded cautious. "About...what?"

"Wait for a few minutes and you'll find out." Why was he suddenly scared, as if he was a little kid about to be scolded my adults. "Well, I'm hanging up."

I put my phone away as I entered the elevator. When the door opened, I saw Alex waiting outside. I glared at him. "I thought I told you to where you were."

He raised his hands up in surrender. "Hey, when you told me that, I was already out the office, besides, no harm done."

I sighed, guess not

"So, what did you want to talk about?" He asked nervously.

"Well, first can we go somewhere private?" I motioned to the open lobby full of spies. 

"Oh, of course. We can go to my place."

I frowned. "You're home is way too far."

He looked confused for a moment then chuckled, "Sorry, I meant my office in the building."

Then he should've just said that. 

His office was a lot like my own, except more spacious and less computers. "This okay?"