Chapter Six ~

You know that feeling you get when something you've always wanted to happen finally happens, but when it actually does you want it to go away? Say you've always wanted to watch this 2 hour-long movie, and halfway through it you're not digging it, and just want it to end so that you can leave. Well, this boy was my movie and I was willing to do anything to get him away from me.

"Look, I can explain-" I was quick to cut him off.

"Save them for someone who cares because you can explain it to me as much as you'd like, maybe even a million times, but it doesn't mean I'm going to believe you." The emotions were gathering in me, and it felt like the room was closing in. I was almost annoyed at myself; the way I had easily fallen into his trap.

"I was just stuck between football and school-"

"Just," I choked, "Save it for someone who cares because I can tell you right now it isn't me. Just quit it with the lousy excuses." The ring was shining bright around my finger, which I had slipped out of the necklace and around my finger just before the class started. I stared at it for a while, knowing he probably didn't keep his promise. I sighed, "Forever."

"And I really meant it," he paused for a second. "At the time." I was quick to look up at him, a confused look on my face.

"What do you mean-" Then it hit me. "Don't tell me you... You kept your promise right?" I stared into his eyes, which gave away the answer immediately. "You asshole."

"No wait! I seriously waited a long time for you. Just... look at my Instagram." He pulled out his phone and showed me the picture.

A smile grew on my face, despite the information I knew. "I don't like that picture."

"Why?" Matt wondered, looking at me strangely. I just shrugged my shoulders.

"It just isn't my best picture.." He looked at me with a disapproving look. He quickly shook his head, looking me in the eyes.

"Everything I said in Florida. It wasn't a lie. You are honest to god the most beautiful girl I've ever seen." I rolled my eyes, a blush creeping its way to my cheeks.

I scrolled up one, and my heart shattered into a thousand pieces.

I sucked in a breath, staring at the picture of her for a few seconds. My eyes widened in shock as I took a closer look. "Doesn't she go here?" Matthew nodded, biting his lip with a sad look. He still had that guilty look in his eyes. I looked closer until I could figure out who it was. "Is this Kayla Winters?"

"Yeah... you know her?" I just pursed my lips and nodded. "You two friends or something?" I was quick to shake my head, showing immediate displeasure.

"More like we hate each other. Matt, this girl is my bully. She's the reason why I'm even insecure." Matt widened his eyes, a shocked look on his face. And with that, the bell rang, and I couldn't have been more happy to get up and run away as fast as I could.

**

"Just leave me alone already, Jared."

"Aw, don't be so tight baby girl. Let loose, you'd be way hotter." I rolled my eyes in disgust.

"Jared, how many times do I have to tell you? I have-" I cut myself off, catching my mistake. I almost said I have a boyfriend. Goodbye to that, I laughed to myself. "Actually, I'm currently single."

"Then why won't you say yes?" I thought about this. Jared and I, that would probably never work out. Although, I'd never know unless I tried. I stopped trying with the guys at my school because I said that I was dating someone long-distance. 

I glanced at Matt, watching him give Kayla a kiss on the cheek. His eyes met mine as though he were making sure I was watching. Why would I want to watch the guy I once loved kiss his new girlfriend? He sent me a smirk, turning away with an arm around her shoulder. He knew I still had feelings, talk about a major asshole.

"You know what Jared, I'd love to go on a date with you." Matt quickly turned around, and I just returned the smirk, looking away from him.

"You would?" Jared sounded surprised, looking at me with suspicious eyes.

"That is what I said," I giggled to myself. I haven't felt leaps in my heart like this since Matt. I watched as Jared's face formed into a smile as he brought my chair closer to him.

"Okay, how about I take you on a date around 7?" I nodded, pulling out my phone. I went onto Instagram, bringing Jared towards me.

"Can I post about this on Instagram?" I didn't want to sound so desperate, but he just nodded and smiled.

"Someone's eager to show everyone our love." I let out a fake laugh, taking a bunch of selfies with him. I created a collage, posting it on Instagram.

Jared smiled at me, liking the picture immediately. I glanced at Matt, who looked at me with a stare that almost seemed jealous. His cheeks were pink as he returned his attention back to Kayla. My phone was buzzing as people liked the picture, a few comments posted.

@anna_thompson: OMG THIS IS CUTE ❤

@jaden1478: WHAT WHEN WHERE WHY HOW DID THIS HAPPEN

@jared1998: i have a feeling this is the start of something amazing ❤❤

I felt a smile creep up to my face as the bell rang, signaling a break. Jared began walking beside me, making me look at him weirdly.

"What are you doing Jared?" He let out a chuckle, continuing to walk beside me.

"Meeting my girl's friends." I looked at him weirdly again.

"Jared, I said yes to one date. Go with your football buddies." He looked at me with reassuring eyes, and I just nodded. He was off to hang out with his team, leaving me to walk over to my spot alone. I felt a presence beside me again.

"Jared, I said-" I cut myself off when I saw him. "What do you want?"

~*~

TEASER: Sophia breaks down, who's there for her?