7. the best thing I ever made.

It was a Friday morning, and Phil was in the kitchen, humming as he bustled about to warm up a bottle. His plan was to feed Owen before he left, and let Dan have a little break from that before he had to take on caring for both kids for two days.

Phil was leaving for the weekend to Florida, to attend a feature in a documentary piece. He knew Lily was having trouble with accepting that he was leaving, even if it was only for a couple days.

Phil let Owen's milk bottle to warm up, and he went up to Lily's room. He creaked open the door, walking in and kneeling next to her bed. He stroked her forehead, pushing her hair back. "Morning, baby," he whispered.

She stirred and grabbed at Phil's hand, gripping it with her small fingers as some sort of comfort.

Her eyes peeked open, and she sat up quickly, rubbing her eyes. "Papa, I miss you!" she exclaimed softly.

"Baby, I haven't even left yet," he laughed softly, caressing her cheek.

"When you leavin', Papa?" she asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"In a bit, but first how about we go wake up Owen and see Daddy? And then I have to leave. But don't worry, love, I'll be back very very soon."

"Okay," she said, slightly unconvinced, but she hopped out of bed and followed her Papa.

-

Soon, Phil was curled on the couch with Owen in his arms, cooing at him softly. "You look so much like your Daddy," he would whisper. "You're so precious."

Lily came running over, bits of cereal in hands. "You leavin' to 'forida, Papa?" she questioned.

"Yes, sweetheart," he laughed. "I'm going to Florida today. But I'll promise I'll be back."

She stared at him.

"Will you take after Owen for me?" he asked.

"And Daddy," she added softly.

"Will you take after Owen and Daddy?"

"'N Lion, too," Lily said.

"Lion, too," he smiled. "Will you do that for me?"

Phil could tell she was sad, but Lily nodded.

-

Phil walked into his and Dan's room, Owen in his arms and Lily trailing behind him.

Dan was asleep, tucked up in the duvet, his collarbone just peeking out. His cheek was pressed to the pillow, his hair pushed from his forehead.

Phil leaned down, placing Owen next to him and kissing Dan's temple. He paused and then kissed his cheekbone. "Dan," he whispered.

Dan's eyes fluttered open. "Morning, baby," he sighed.

"Hi," Phil grinned. He rubbed Dan's shoulder. "I fed Owen and Lily, to save you some time. I've got everything, so I'll be leaving in a bit."

Dan pulled Phil into a hug, and snuggled into his neck. "Mm, I love you, 'm gonna miss you," he said.

"I love you too," said Phil. "I'll be back soon."

"You're not going, Papa!"

All of a sudden, a little, happy voice interrupted them, and they pulled apart. Phil walked over to Lily, a sad smile on his face.

"You're not going!" giggled Lily again. "You're not going 'forida."

"I'm sorry, love, but I have to go." He said softly, leaning in to kiss her cheek. "I'm going to miss you the mostesest. I promise I'll be back quickly."

"You're not going," she whispered, her bottom lip jutting out and tears filling her eyes. "Papa, I miss you."

"Aw, baby," he sighed, lifting her into a hug and pulling her close. She cried into Phil's neck, and he kissed her forehead, tears pricking Phil's own eyes.

"I take care of Daddy and Owen and Lion," she said brokenly. "I promise, Papa. And I miss you the mostesest, too."

Phil laughed, a tear escaping his eye. He hugged her closer "God, I'm so in love with you. You're the best thing I ever made."

And Lily snuggled into her Papa's shoulder, relishing the last moments before he left. Even if it was for two days.